Which Wading boots should I buy ?????

Freestone

Hi all

I have just aquired a pair of stockingfoot waders and I need to buy a pair of wading boots. I am a little bemused by the contradicting info available and cannot seem to come to a decision perhaps you could help ?

I fish freestone rivers here in Yorkshire so the river beds are always boulder strewn and extemely slippy (very difficult wading) and generally fast flowing, banking is nearly always grass over limestone so walking is tough going. I will generally do 3 to 4 miles in the day at least so comfort when walking is important. Lastly I would rather spend more and get boots that really fit the job in hand than skimp and regret it later.

Hope you can advise.

Phil

I am sure you must have spotted that Freestone is in fact a model of wading boot. :D

Given the wading boots (unless you wear a life jacket) stand between you and death, suggest the best pair you can afford. I suggest felt soles with studs. Get very rigid boots that offer strength and support and prevent ankle twists and bruising. The river I fish in Scotland is very bouldery (stretching the language for a moment) and slimy.

I also prefer separate Neoprene gravel guards as these provide additional cushioning to the ankle against twists and bruising. The built in gravel guards as a wast of time unless you fish gravel bottom rivers.

Mine are Simms Guide boots, which I use with Simms Guide stocking foots and Vision Extreme subzero neoprene stocking foots. I always use the separate gravel guards even though the vision waders have thin Neoprene built in ones.

Obviously a wading staff is a must.

• 4 weeks later...

Simms waders come in lots of sizes and they do a specific range for women. I had the same problem as at 5ft 6 I am not tall for a man, and my legs are short even for that height.(Family morphology trait.) Ring Sportfish or John Norris and they will advise I am sure.