Cortland 555 floating

wfchornet

Greetings all.

I am new to the forum, and wondered if anyone had any experience of the above lines. Sexy loops seem to think they're 'rather good' but I've seen other reports where they have been slated - described as uncastable and the worst that Cortland have produced. I even saw mention of a 666 as a replacement (might just have been 'devilment' on someone's part!).

Any further constructive advice would be welcomed to avoid an expensive mistake.

Thanks

The Cortland 555s have been around for some time and its hard to imagine them being 'uncastable' However if there's the slightest doubt in your mind then its probably best to look elsewhere.

I have to say that I've heard of problems with just about every line manufacturer in the market which leads me to believe that a lot of complainers are just not competent enough to judge. No line will work perfectly in the hands of a beginner or less than adequate caster. It will neither run straight or far without putting in some work and practice. I use mostly Orvis lines these days, a mixture of Spring Creek double tapers in the lighter weights and Wonderlines in the heavier weights. Great lines but I've heard people on forums moan about them. Makes me smile.

[ 11. January 2005, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Try Jim Vincent’s Rio Products fly lines. They have a new line called "Nymph". It is the best line I have used and I have cast lines from most every line company. Mind you I have not cast every line each company makes but I have tried enough to know. It roll casts, shoots, mends, and floats excellent and it might even buy you a beer if you are nice. It really is a great line. I own several in different colors. For information on the Nymph lines go to http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/flylines_...&useMet=0#chart

I do not work for Rio I just use the product.

• 2 weeks later...

A line will "last" and cast as good as it's user. Make sure you treat it right, the shops will tell you you need to change a fly line every year, not so. I have fly lines that are coming up to 10 years old and get a lot of use.

After use, take them of the spool and use a soft damp cloth to wipe of any muck, once dry reel them back onto the spool lightly while at the same time pulling through a soft cloth loaded with Armour-All ( from Halfords etc - its for conditioning and cleaning vinyl and plastic in cars ). If your not intending to use the line for some time keep it off the spool in large loops which will restrict the memory. I tend to use Scientific anglers lines but Courtland are good. You do tend to get what you pay for, but there is a supplier in Nottingham. sorry can't remember his name ( I'll think on it and re-post when I remember ) who provides lines for aprox £20.00 - £25.00 which are fantastic.

To avoid treading on it get a line-tray or just be more careful ! . . Tight lines.

Andrew Boyd