Casting trouble

Quinny

Hi all, When casting how can i get the line to lay out straight across the water and not with memory coils every couple of feet or so? This memory in the line has been bugging me for a while and as i am only a beginner was wondering whether i am casting wrong. Also, as i pull the line off the reel it won't lay quite straight but always coils back up. What am i doing wrong? :mad: :confused:

When starting fishing draw the line off the reel and give it a gentle stretch this will cure the problem.......Unless its an old Airflo line! those tended to have a very bad coil memory.

Equally don't look down at the water when casting aim to land your fly at a point three feet above the water this may sound daft but if you look down at the water you will tend to aim into it which causes short casts and the line won't straighten.

If you are up here in God's own county of Lancashire at any time give me a shout and I will show you.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Prob your doing nothing wrong. But . .

a) ensure your fly line is not twisted, did you reel it directly onto your reel from "over the top" rather than from the "side"?

B) Some lines retain a memory, if they have been on a spool for some time they can be a pain. What I do, having a long garden, is extend my fly line from the reel like a washing line overnight. Keep it of the ground where the fox's won't find it. If you don't have the room in your garden just unspool the fly line onto your bed room floor overnight, any where it can be spread out without being trodden on. The next day I then run the line back onto the reel, under light tension, with a very soft cloth soaked in "Armour All" ( this is for cleaning vinyl, you can get it from Halfords . . 1/2 the price of "fly line" cleaners ). The Armour All wont get rid of the coiling but will condition the line. Take take with slow sink lines, as this treatment can make them float short term.

perhaps someone else out there has some other ideas.

Andrew Boyd

Quinny

Is that the only line you have a problem with ? if so, try taking it off the reel (in a field)and attaching the reel to a post or something quite strong...walk away with the line until it is all unspooled and then attach the line to the post somehow...(Reel end)or get someone to hold the reel end of the line....stretch the line by holding the tip ,slowly applying the pressure , it should stretch about 18" or maybe a little more, and holding for 20 / 30 seconds....then releasing the pressure slowly until the line is slack...repeat another twice...applying and releasing the pressure slowly at each stretch...on the last one place the line on the ground and then reel in...allowing the line to come freely along the ground.... this may solve the problem.

If not there may be a manufacturing problem with the line...seek help from the supplier.

Gwilym Hughes