flies for chub & dace

fantasticfisherman

I've caught chunb (admittedly unintentionally!) on muddler minnows (wet), Dady long legs (dry) and Mayfly (dry). Never caught a dace, although I imagine a black Gnat would do it... more to the poit, why the hell do you want to catch a dace on fly?!!! :-)

Guest PhilB

There are some dace flies in the spring 2005 edition of "Fly Dresser", the quarterly magazine of the "Fly Dressers' Guild". They are mainly tiny nymphs in sizes 18-20 with small gold bead heads and dubbed fur or peacock herl bodies. For dace, think small, for chub, think big! The magazine is not generally available to non-members but anyone can join. Have a look at; http://www.the-fdg.org/index.htm and good luck with your quest.

I guess it depends on the chub size and the bankside cover. I always use around 6lb 'Orvis super strength' it is called - really fine diameter, not much stretch but this is made up for by absorption by rod and fly line. Comes in 30m spools I think.

For Chub I use bushy patterns such as Bibios Zulus or Soldier Palmers fished semi dry i.e. I dont worry if they sink tipping them with a maggot also seems to help.

Dace I've only ever caught small ones by accident with small dries and nymphs; I think you would be better off with a stick float for them.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Gwilym Hughes:

Dan G

I love fishing for all 'cyprinids' with flies and wonder why you ask, why should anyone want to fish for Dace with a fly ?

Gwilym Hughes

Hear hear, Gwilym.

I'd go so far as to say that if you can catch the lightning-fast-taking dace with light leader tippets and tiny flies (which dace require you to use many more times than lordly trout), then a lot of your flyfishing is already sorted...

Chub flies? Nymphs, beadheads, streamers (lures representing fry / minnows - excellent in the very early season - mid-june - when chub are still in the shallows) and American Hopper (grasshopper) patterns do well. The rubber-legged foam-bodied 'Chernobyl Ant' - a wild thing of a hopper pattern - can greatly excercize the minds of chub in high summer, too. In the early part of the season so can a 'fly' made from white foam or styrene. Any similarity to breadflake or crust is entirely coincidental! Away for a week or so, now -- off rough-stream spottie-chasing.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.