BRIGHOUSE BAY DUMFRIES & GALLOWAY

Gary Huckins

Brian.

Nearest town is Kirkcudbright.

Gary.

If you drive down to Ross which is the bay to the East, you can walk over the fields to the western edge of the point and fish off the rocks. We stayed in Ross a couple of years ago , saw the local parade on the saturday and the Tatoo the following week, as a family have said it is the best holiday we have ever had. Not sure what the fishing is like at the camp, have suggested to the family that I would like to find out this year.

John Cayless

www.anglingconcepts.co.uk/

Team SPRO/Cralusso

The dumfries and galloway coastline is reckoned by many sea anglers to be the finest fishing in the UK. I live in Redcar(on the coast) and plenty of folk from here fish that part of the country because its so good. Snatcher on the sea forum will put you right on that one where to go and what species are available ( hes also from my part of the world)send him a private message if you wish or do it through the sea forum.

As for the course side I will readily admit to not knowing anything about fishing on your site I'd just try it and find out.

Pike fishing

Tongland loch about ten minutes from your site holds pike and day tickets are available. Carlingwark loch about twenty minutes from you is free fishing no permit required. Good fishing to be had here but most of the fish are low doubles. Some good fish over 20lbs have come out of there so dont write it off as a water small, plugs will catch fish most days long, as will deadbaits.

Some 30 mins from you is Woodhall loch with a big fish reputation and day tickets are available from Lauriston Post office, park in the lay by and your car is safe on your return. Ten minutes past Woodhall is Loch Ken one of my favourite waters where the fish are now getting bigger thanks to the stopping of pike netting. Day tickets are available on the bank for £3.50 per rod on the New Galloway side. Nigel is the baliff a Chesterfield lad now living up there, he will not give you a bum steer so ask him for any tips or advice as he is a pike angler himself. Permits are also available for the other side of the loch but a bit more travelling

There are others but may involve a bit more travelling ( not a good idea when on holiday and needing the wife to agree to a days fishing)if that info is required then just post up and I'll see what I can come up with

I am in Portpatrick for a week at the beginning of April (parents retired there) and going to try out Whitefield Loch. It says that its a pike and perch water, but was wondering what other fish there are there.

Heard the same advise too John. My old man had to leave a session after getting eaten alive.

Should have mentioned the midgies sorry. The first time I went to Loch Ken I got absolutly bitten to death by them , it's the small 2mm ones that do all the damage. A night and day session resulted in a trip to the doctors for steroid cream to treat the bites as I looked like the elephant man, I reacted that badly to them.

Forget those bee keeper type hats absolutly no use at all as I've tried those and found that the midgies just crawl in around your neck and bite once inside the net. I've got a midgie suit that came from Australia and it's the business for keeping them at bay, I've done five days at a stretch camping and fishing amongst them and only had a couple of bites to show for it.

The best repellant is Jungle Formula in the pump action bottle , keep applying it every hour or so and you should be ok. Dont forget to do your backs of your hands,wrists and if wearing trainers your ankles and calves.I've tried all types of repellant over the years but Jungle Formula is the best. Check that you are not allergic to it as it contains a high element of DEET.You can also take anti histamine tablets for a week before you go so you've got some antibodies in your system prior to any bite.

It goes without saying that if the midgies are active then avoid all toilet breaks otherwise you may end up pleased with the swelling but alarmed at the pain.

Carlingwark Loch at Castle Douglas doesnt have a midgie problem as such as it is different terrain to Loch Ken. Any area that contains bracken or lots of fir/pine trees will also contain midgies

[ 07. March 2005, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Brian Carragher ]