Fly fishing without the rod and reel?

Norfolkdan

I've used an emerger pattern with a controller float with some sucess for big rudd that were feeding 40 yards out from the bank on hatching mayfly and sedge a few years ago. Got a few funny looks from people float fishing caster on nearby pegs for them, but had more of the larger fish than them so the method definately works. I'm intending to try it on a local water that contains huge rudd that are beyond normal fly rod range most of the time, and are very reluctant to take anything other than the emerging flies when there's a hatch on.

I have no reason to doubt that it would work just as well for trout, grayling, chub or even carp.

Will

Got an 8lb rainbow at Fontburn on a controller float(20g) with an orange dog knobbler trailed about9/10 foot behind it. The controller float is more sreamlined than a bubble flat and creates very little "wake" as a consequence.

I was hitting fish at 70 yds

Much as I do enjoy normal fly fishing I will try any permitted method to try and catch fish. No I am not a purist

Norfolkdan I was using a 12' float rod,fixed spool and 8lb line.

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy