Microsoft update problem

Colin Brett

I've just had an update from MS and I followed the instructions as usual to allow the update to install and then reboot.

That was 4 hours ago????????

It says do not switch off or unplug the computer!!

What do I do as it's obviously going to carry on for ever if I don't do something.

I now have a message on this machine saying it wants to update but I'm loathe to let it.

Help anyone?

I've just had an update from MS and I followed the instructions as usual to allow the update to install and then reboot.

What do I do as it's obviously going to carry on for ever if I don't do something.

I now have a message on this machine saying it wants to update but I'm loathe to let it.

Help anyone?

Dougal here :D :D from Father Ted.

Guess what I just did?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That "OFF" button was just irresistible :blink: :blink: :blink:

Luckily all seems OK!!

Help anyone?

Aaaaaaaargh, NO!!!!, don't ever let Microsoft update itself, they are designed to make your computer never function properly ever ever again.

If you do slip into the trap, the only thing to do is the opposite of what they tell you to do. I hope you can still read this :o

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Glad to hear it's sorted.

You know, I dare say there are lots of clever people who'll explain why you should never use the off button, but I've done it a few times and these PC's seem to sort their own lives out pretty well :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• 3 weeks later...

You weren't trying to let it install Service Pack 3 were you? I've blocked that because of all the problems it caused. The only trouble is that I now can't update Zone Alarm because it requires SP3.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

You weren't trying to let it install Service Pack 3 were you? I've blocked that because of all the problems it caused. The only trouble is that I now can't update Zone Alarm because it requires SP3.

SP3 was no problem, loaded and worked first time and this was on both of my computers.

Interestingly I updated my laptop with the same update that caused me to post this with no problem at all.

Thinking back this is the only time I've ever had a problem with a MS update :) :)

Just done the latest ones and again no problems.