Fly recommendations

Jim Erskine

Jim,

Don't know if you are aware but there are no boats at farmoor this year.

The two favourite Farmoor methods are:

Floating line, 3 buzzers fished static under a sight indicator.

Sinking line, very short leader and a booby.

They sell all the flies you need in the ticket shop.

Thanks Ian. I didn't know that Farmoor didn't allow boats. The only reason I knew about the area is that my wife travels to Oxford every other month since she works for Oxford University in their New York USA office. The folks in the hotel she stays at recommended it...

I must admit, I much rather put on a pair of waders and wade the rivers and streams. The Farmoor seemed more like a lake that required a boat to get to the best places.

I do however have a boat reserved at the Coniston Hotel. That was recommended by the brother of her driver who is a policeman in the area.... He has offered to guide me while in that area.

Jim

Big place coniston and a guide would be a distinct advantage, the other place that might be worth a try is esthwaite wich is a stocked fishery. Im busy tieing you some patterns at the moment, any ideas where in scotland you are going to fish?

Jim,

Farmoor has boats alright but the Health and Safety Police have declared the jetty dangerous.

Farmoor is in fact a gigantic concrete bowl that is used for supplying Oxford and Swindon(I think) with water. So I'm afraid there is no opportunity for wading.

Some people can't tolerate concrete and want grass under their feet when fishing and I can understand that.

Farmoor is run by Thames Water and the fishing can be very good from the bank and the fish are in good condition with full tails.

If you do go I would ask advice in the ticket shop and then drive all the way round the reservoir and look for rising fish and/or ask other anglers how they are doing.

Thanks Ian, that's what I had planned to do...

Jim, I have spoken to the B & B's that we will be staying at the they were planning to get me my tickets and point me in the direction of a number of good places... I haven't made any definate plans yet... the wife will be touring castles and I will be FISHING! The only touring I plan on doing is in Glasow. That is where my grandfather left to come to America. Who knows, perhaps I still have some relatives there...

Jim