Any tips for Colwick Lake in Nottingham?

wozzamozza

I'm going up to Nottingham to fish at Colwick park this saturday. The weather report at the moment is 21C, sunny intervals with a 10mph south westerly wind. Can anyone give me any pointers to hot spots and patterns to try. the last time i fished there was in 1999.

I'd appreciate any info. I'm also taking a friend who has never been fly fishing before, so the more prepared that we are the better the success. I hope!

Cheers Wozzamozzza frosty frosty

I had an evening there in 2001. the bank next to the "lodge" and car park seems quite deep and I had a couple of fish there on a long leader with 2 buzzers fished deep & slow. I found it was quite weedy and shallow in other areas. after buzzers, my next choice would be PTN, olive nymph or fished a bit quicker on a sink-tip perhaps, a gold head damsel with a marabou tail. I don't often fish lures but the usual cat's, blobs etc. might be good for quickly locating a few freshly stocked fish. Good luck :)

Hiya, Good advice from the above post....I've fished it a couple of times, and the last time was about 3 years ago, in August, when the place was absolutely full of algae...it was so thick the fly wouldnt go through it, according to the chap in the shop...I went over to have a look, he wasnt far wrong....you will also get good advice from the guy in the shack.... :D

Have a good trip.... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Thanks for the advice. The first point of call will be the shack to get an idea on how it's been this week. I have not fished from the bank near the car park before, I’ll definitely give it a go before we board the boat.

I've got a good mix of buzzers, nymphs, dry's and lures, so I’m covered for every eventuality. the last time I fished it the fish were taken on a sinking line and dark nymphs.

I can remember a friend telling me about the problem with algae, it was thick and very off putting.

I'll report back on how the day goes.

thanks again, wozzamozza

the algae should only be in the top 3 feet of water unless there has been a good blow to stir it up. Let the flies sink through it and then give the line a sharp pull - this will get remove any algae that has got stuck to the flies as they have sunk thro' it. Make sure the flies stay deep as you retrieve. The fish can be very close to the bank in these conditions because they feel safe with a "roof" over their heads so retrieve right in to the edge.

I don't think there is a problem with the algae at the moment, but for some reason Colwick has had problems with it in the past. thanks for the advice, if it's there tomorrow I’ll be ready

the weather has now changed from a pleasant sunny intervals to thunder showers all day, don't you just hate it when the weather changes so much when you try and plan a fishing trip.

cheers wozzamozza

Just to report back on my trip to cowlick.

I didn't have a sausage, not even any attempts. :( my fishing partner lost one using buzzers, a knot on a dropper didn't hold.

The water was so warm that you could have gone swimming in it. so we headed out to the deepest part in-between the two islands. There was a lot of fish jumping through the day, but they were more likely to be fresh stockies than feeding. i think my problem is that I’m too quick to try different patterns. next time I’ll stick with buzzers, they seemed to work for the other guys on the boats.

I haven't been put off the place and will return again soon. If anyone else fishes there, I’d be grateful for an update.

P.S. no sign of algae!

wozzamozza

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen this thread.

I used to regularly have a season ticket at Colwick (well over 20 years ago).

I once caught a Pike of 34lbs. on a Baby doll right outside the lodge.

I put it in the Loop at the back of the lake as the bailiff wanted me to kill it.

I don't know if it survived.

DF

cheers Kev,

I’m planning to return there at the end of September, when things should have cooled down a bit. I’ve never felt water so warm!

I tried Walthamstow a couple of times last week during the hot days and had nothing, tried all over the two lakes in all the usual places and the usual flies, but nadda. no-one else caught either.

although it's nice to get out in the sun and the warm weather, I’ve learnt not to expect much.

do you fish Colwick much?

cheers wozza mozza