Rigs

Norfolkdan

RUDD:

Dan

I personaly feel safty clip rigs are safer than inlines due to the fact that the lead can be ejected if caught in some form of snag.

Some may not agree but if my line breaks I know I have done enough that I can to TRY to protect the fish.

No argument there Rudd we can only do our best to ensure the safety of a fish should we snap up, I have just been looking at the new "Carp 'r' Us" safety clips which tbh look very impressive indeed and leave only a hooklink in the event of a breakage when used correctly.

Dante:

Dante:

to add my bit, I would certainly increase the lead weight to 2.5oz minimum

likewise no point trying to use a system that is meant to prick the fish if it can lift the lead without the hook setting, try testing using your finger you will find you will be able to pick up a light lead with out the hook causing you pain.
If you do the above in a tank of water you will find you can easily lift a 4oz lead. I use (semi fixed) leads down as low as 1.5oz with no problems but likewise will go up to 4oz if need be. If you go around your local lake you will see leads from 1 to perhaps 4 1/2 oz's. Hooks from a size 10 - 2, rigs from 3 inches to 14 inches long and hairs between a couple of mm to an inch or more etc, etc. The simple fact is these will all catch fish.

By all means try different things but try changing things in a methodical fashion until you get a winning formula and then just adjust it if need be. If you have 2 or 3 rods then do something different on each to try and get to the answer quicker.

Rob.

if you want some real advice buy yourself korda underwater part 1, it gives you a real insight into what actually happens on the bottom, but if it was me id use 4 or 5 inches of 15lb braid a size 8 or 10 hook a size 8 korda swivvel and a korda lead clip sytem with a 3 ounce swivvel lead.

will.