chilham

j green

I have recently joined mid kent fisheries approx 2 months ago and I have fished Chilham mill lake 4 times double nights.The swims I have fished were the corner swim(34),no hope (27), the dug out(1) and swim 15 onto the gap between the islands. I used maple 8 on two rods and 1 proactive pineapple on the other rod over a spodded area and I haven't had a thing.

I know chilham hasn't been fishing at it's best lately but am I doing something wrong? are my tactics or bait wrong? or the swims I have been in?

I would appreciate any advise on fishing chilham.

Thanks Jon.

p.s I have heard that the best swims are scaffolds, the transformer, one pole and new swim. If this is true which is the best one?

j.green

The best swims on the Mill are the ones with carp in! Not taking the mick either.Most times a quick look around the lake will show a few fish.This is a far better aproach than just setting up in the "best swim"

A lot of my fishing there was relatively close in with single boillie hook baits fished over tight beds of pellets.Acuracey and quiet being the key words.Evening would often see the fish on the surface and once you had them confidently taking floaters they were easy enough to hook.A lot of the older baits such as maize were also sucsessfull despite being told that they had "blown".

Most of my fishing was done mid week and consisted of short sessions ie early morning to mid day or afternoon/evening sessions.

Seemed to catch far more like this than the stero typed method used by most there ie set up in the first swim they got to,spend most of the day up a tree but not bothering to move even when they saw fish,casting all rods as far towards the far margin as they could then putting out several pounds of bait none of which were within many yards of their hook bait.Oh and the most important bit of after catching nothing but watching me and a mate catch several comming round to tell us how to do it!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi Jon

The Mill is "fishing hard" at the moment. If you haven't seen it before can I suggest visiting the MKF website & forum (www.midkentfisheries.co.uk). This has loads of info from the regulars and will give you everything you need. Alternatively, call Chris and the team in the office on 01227 730668 and they'll give you lots of up to date advice.

Good luck

Robin

ECHO

j green:

CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY ADVISE ON ANY OF THE LAKES AT MKF?

Not really I'm afraid - I've been fishing the rivers or chasing tincas this season so far.

About the only advice I can offer is that either Premier or Mainline bait seems to be doing the do on most lakes and that keeping your eyes open and getting on the fish before you set up is the most consistant way of catching. Also, like I said before, the MKF forum or the office are the best sources of info.

Robin

Most of the MKF waters are pretty slow right now, gone a bit stale and the fish are well fed on plenty of natural so don't have to eat boilies etc.

There are always one or two fish coming out though, just work at it and your turn MAY come, just remember they are predominately BIG fish waters, noone goes there looking for doubles, most are looking for thirties or bigger.

The Mill has a booking in system so it is not simply a case of wandering around to find fish, it is very likely that someone else has beaten you to it, booked in, and is already fishing. So you either take the best option and do your best or go to one of the other lakes.

As a day angler (no sessions) I get on pretty well, even though I am often left with fishing a swim that I feel pretty sure I will blank in...that is the time to learn as much about that swim as you can readdy for the next time.

Mid Kent waters are not an easy option, but they do provide a competent angler with a really good shot at a thirty, and on most of them even a forty.

Reality of it is, is that at the moment, most anglers are blanking...but then you wouldn't want to catch every time you went would you??

Probably going to sound like an advert for MKF but they are VERY clean, VERY well stocked with BIG fish, and provide hardened carpers like me with a really satisfying challenge.

By the way, almost any decent bait will catch when they switch on.

Den (see you on the bank, but only weekdays for me)

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

ive only just got back from a night session and had nothing from 20 on shouters island but i dident have anything in bait realy because it was a last minitue thing and all i had was some pine apple pop ups and sweetcorn and marine halibut pellets with some marine halibut method mix

have you any idea on most succsesfull baits there.

thanks

j.green

I used to do very well stalking on the Mill but Den says you must now book in (do you have to book in to a specific swim now then Den?)

The other water that was good for stalking was the Nook and Cranny but never caught anything big there.Some years since I fished there and Dens info will be far more up to date.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Yes Budgie, you have to book in at a specific swim at the mill...good system as well..saves all that putting buckets/bottles in several different swims and all the arguments that that caused.

When it is working properly (most times it is) then it means that someone like me (only fishing days) can have a quick look in the Hut and see what is free and make a decision to maybe fish one of the other lakes.

Nothing to stop you looking around first though, but if someone comes in and books a swim while you are walking around then they get the swim.

Nook and Cranny and Triangle no longer exist, all one lake now which is beginning to mature very nicely, the railway bank with the dugouts is still a bit raw, but the other swims are getting nicely overgrown...amazing how fast alders a willows grow, and a real profusion of wild flowers. This is the lake named after Chris "Loggie" Logsden, and where I had my first thirty common :D and I have had a couple of thirty+ mirrors as well........but I also blanked for 6 months :o there!

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic