Mackerel fishing for the newbie

technolaser

I can already hear the groans, but can someone please point me to pictures of feathers or spinners to use when trolling for mackerel?

Are diving lures any good?

Also, any links to "The beginners guide to mackerel fishing" would be appreciated.

Be gentle!

Fish in general are very scarce in my neck of the woods and I'd be only too happy to catch some mackerel for supper.

TIA.

Welcome to Anglers net Technolaser.

I'm suprised no one has responded to you yet, maybe the're all off fishing. :rolleyes:

Do a google image search if you want to see feathers, they are usually a 3 hook rig with feathers or lures whipped onto the hooks.

If you are planning on fishing from the beach, then use a plain lead, 1 oz for every 10Lb of breaking strain of the rig - i.e. if your rig is 50lb breaking strain, you use a 5oz lead.

You cast out & then pull the rod 90 degrees to your side, reel in as you point the rod back towards the sea. If the mackerel hit your feathers you'll feel the take, then keep the rod high as you reel in. Probably best to watch someone else do it rather than me trying to explain.

Have a read of the thread i got pinned to the top of this forum, with regard to releasing fish unharmed.

Mackerel back at the end of april down our way.

good luck.

The most effective mackerel lures I have used are the Mustad Mini Dayglo ones. They come in a set of 3, and combined with a 2oz dexter wedge at the bottom instead of a lead they are fantastic. You'll catch more than people with strings of 6 feathers no problem.

F2.jpg

Mackerel will go for anything when in a feeding frenzy, even a bare hook. It really doesnt matter what type of lures you use, any mackerel feathers/lures will do the job, look on fleabay, loads on there. I use all sorts, no difference at all, they all catch mackies six at a time.

Edited by maidstonemike

There are loadsa ways to catch mackerel.

I guess that if you want dinner on a plate, then the 'feather-type' lures and 5oz of lead will do you.

Much more fun on a float from the piers/harbour walls. I use a carp rod (2 1/2lb tc) ...

sppmay1mack1.jpg

floatpierrigfinal.jpg

When they're 'boiling' up the beaches, try the 'controller-style' float rig .....

Controller floats are fished like this ....

floatscontroller.jpg

controllerrig.jpg

:)

OK, I give up! I'm going to blame the lack of success on the season and wait until it's warmer to go for the mackerel again. :(

So this Friday it's going to be some bottom fishing from the boat using squid and shrimp, although given the utterly featureless sea floor around my home port, there's not much hope on that front either. Any hints on what to look for in terms of promising locations?

R.