Backleads

jonboy walton

I fsih a weedy canal where the use of backleads is essential, due to drifting weed. However, I have had several takes that have not shown up at the indicator end, despite fishing a tight a line as possible. I have picked up the rod, and the line has gone down to the backlead, and then shot along the margins, as a carp that has picked up the bait, swum in towards me, and due to the backlead, a drop back has not occurred. Is there any way arund this? Are light backleads better than heavy ones?

Jonboy :confused:

You might try setting your rod rests or pod at the very edge of the canal bank with the rods pointing directly INTO the water with the tips well under the surface (without using backleads). I've found it best to try to get the rod tips actually touching the lake/canal bottom slope so that the line is well under the drifting weed. Don't worry if the set-up doesn't look 'cool' to your fellow anglers!

If the canal bank is steep and you are fishing from the top of the bank, then you'll have problems and maybe will be stuck with using back leads.

I suggest that you make your own back lead connections with much larger clip rings than normal, or plastic rings (that will float so that it lifts line off bottom). Slide a large rubber bead on the line larger than the ring diameter.

I've found that a heavy lead is much better in most cases so that it clamps line down tight to the bottom; but in your case, where you only require the mainline to be beneath the drifting weed, it may be better to just slide a light lead down the mainline after casting out. The light backlead will generally not slide all the way down to the bottom as long as the mainline is kept tight between reel and main lead. This will then give you better drop-back indications.

GLOBETROTTER main website:

http://www.wildcarp.com

GLOBE'S GALLERY:

http://www.wilderness-photo.co.uk

New CARP 2006 CALENDAR:

http://www.pinkkipperpublishing.co.uk

EUROPEAN Website:

http://www.westerlaan-publisher.com

You could of course, use a paper clip with childrens plasticine moulded around it, for a very cheap back lead.

This will enable you to vary the size/weight of the back lead.

Allowing you to experiment with its sensitivity. :)

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

I would say wherever possible avoid backleads, that is not an uncommon finding (IME). Dip the rods under as globe suggested. If you must use backleads then us very heavy ones that won't move (with large rings). Also fish running leads and as light indicators as you can get away with.

Rob.

I agree with every thing but the light indicators.I would reccomend using heavy ones to try and show any drop backs more positively.Also a semi fixed lead.This neednt be as heavy as any running lead used but must still be of a sufficient size to help pricking/self hooking.Keeping everything ultra tight is the answer.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Budgie,

My point about light indicators is only applicable to running leads, because of course you won't get drop backs and hence don't therefore need heavy indicators to spot them. I would also use slacker lines for the same reason - but then I wouldn't bother with backleads

Rob.

I have tried using slack lines, but the drifting weed catches it every time! The problem is the weed actually drags on the bottom (this in 4ft of water) and backleads do pin the line as tight to the bottom as possible, also offering some resistance if some minor weed picks it up. I will try sinking the rods further under the water though.

Jonboy

Hi Jonboy,

A few interesting points above. However, when fishing in weed the only time I would use a backlead is if I’ve already cleared some weed on the bottom for the line to sit down in. Not quite sure if the swim you are fishing has weed on bottom also?

In relation to drifting weed on-top; how drastic is the flow? Usually when confronted with moving weed on top I just fish big-leads, maybe 2.5oz and fish *very* tight lines with as much weight as possible on my swingers - everything else locked-up. Using this method I’ve found that the weed will rub up against the line and hold as everything’s locked-up, and in most cases I get good bite indication, although I do turn up the sensitivity on the alarm.

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!