Essex Pits

Elton

As a lad, I grew up in a little village called Rowhedge in Essex.

Now, I remember seeing a near 30 pound carp returned, when I was but a small lad, in Rowhedge Pits, as we used to call them as kids.

So, what are these called these days and what is the potential? I have a feeling that my native haunts have "big name carp" written all over them now.

Let history record that... the the time I saw that near 30, I was there with my uncles (I can't even remember which ones!) with a little seaside shrimp net, catching all sorts in the margins.

Oh, how I long for my youth :D

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

oi oi elton,

i used to ive in cochester..but used to fish that river for eels and flatties..around bridge area and the mill..lived in wivenhoe and gt bentley aswell.remember that little village pond ..just up from the rowhedge bridge..nice pint in the whalebone pub..right next to the pond.

uncle jim

KIR.

Jim Shelley:

oi oi elton,

i used to ive in cochester..but used to fish that river for eels and flatties..around bridge area and the mill..lived in wivenhoe and gt bentley aswell.remember that little village pond ..just up from the rowhedge bridge..nice pint in the whalebone pub..right next to the pond.

uncle jim

KIR.

Jim,

Do you mean the Mill near the Old Siege House? I used to fish that loads. It's tidal and we used to catch absolutely tons of fish there. Never knew what you were going to catch next.

I laso used to fish the river in Rowhedge for flatties and eels. It was the first place I ever fished :)

Tight lines,

Elton

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Paulf:

The Mill was a great ol spot plenty people fishing it too.15 minutes on my bike and I was there.Bit of a dodgy bankside though,especially when the tide came in!

Can you still fish there, Paul? There were always moves to stop us fishing it, although I never really knew why.

Tight lines,

Elton

PS It was about 15 mins on a bike for me, too. You weren't from Greenstead as well, were you?

Paulf:

Yeah I was from Greenstead did you fish the 3

ponds there(Salary brook)? As for the Mill I don't know if you can fish it or not.Haven't fished there since I was a kid.

Paul

Paul,

I swear to you that I believe that I was the first person ever to fish any of them. People thought I was stupid!

I also used to fish the brook for trout by crumbling weetabix in it and waiting for about half an hour until fish followed them up to the bridge, where I was waiting with freelined worms :)

Tight lines,

Elton

Elton

Those ponds were the first place I ever fished I lived about 3 mins walk away.I too was there in the early days.Lots of Rudd and perch.Its where i had my first carp(1 1/2 pound)Also the brook (near the pipe)used to catch loads of dace,I saw the trout swim by but could never catch them.Few years back I fished the ponds and had a nice upper double,couldn't believe it!

Paul