Crayfish, Poisson Chat!!

Going to France this summer, to a lake full of these and some carp. How do you tackle a situation like this? How often, generally, would you rebait/recast?

I would be using prob. Granite mix hookbaits, dried for a few months. Is this as hard as you can get a bait?

Is this the answer? Is there anything you can do but just grin and bear it?

"Where There`s Smoke, There`s Salmon"

I think you can get a mesh to fit over your hook bait, it's like a little plastic cage.

Not sure who does them though

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

I know what you mean, the cage's do look a little hard-core

I would imagine someone does a mesh, though as you say it's probebly just as easy, if not a damn site cheaper, to use a stoking or a fine hessian of some sort.

Air dried baits should do the trick for a while anyway, I tend do the same on Birch Grove to try and keep the Eel's of'em, although the most I dry them for is usually 4-5 weeks.

Cheers

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Poisson Chat - one of the US catfish isn't it? If so, can you say which one and I can give suggestions for catching them.

As for the crayfish situation - is there any problem in France with using them for bait? Carp think highly of them and they can easily be rigged up and used as bait. And BTW - other crays will tend to leave them alone.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

For poisson Chat the solar bait cages work but look awful. Granite mix doesn't work for long although against crays it is fine. That said if you use active 8 you may find the poisson chats wont bother you, we found this on one lake infested with the blighters.

I can also recommend the tackle box mesh, don't waste time with tights they are too flimsy.

Rob.

That`s it, sorted. Double mesh, as you`ve mentioned before Ron. Thanks again. Just wanted to see if anyone else had an alternative suggestion.

Piker, having tooth problems in all three rows???

Tricky, but I`ll run you up some sort of clacker.

"Where There`s Smoke, There`s Salmon"