Mouldy Shelf lifes

Polly

I bought 6 x 2.5kg buckets of Hutchie 20mm shelf life boilies from a show for £50, Bargain!!!! However, I have almost a whole bucket of Scopex left and they keep getting a white sort of mouldy, mildew type covering on them when left between sessions. It seems to start as a few "freckles" and then spread throughout the bucket until almost all the boilies are virtually covered. It rubs or washes off and boilies look as good as new but I'm concerned it may be harmful to fish or even me. Has anyone else ever experienced this or able to tell me if I can treat the boilies to stop it returning. Thought about scalding them in boiling water or zapping them for a while in the micro-wave.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

fantasticfisherman:

also zapping them in the microwave will make them float. good if you want to fish pop ups but not good if you want to use bottom baits

Is that true? How long for?

:)

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Put 10 in the Micro and give them 10 secs...check them out..........then if "cooked" to much do 20 for 10 secs...keep trying different times/amounts 'till you get it right.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

randal:

It's just the sugars/salts coming out of them and they will still be ok to use.

Brilliant, should be going this weekend so most will get used up anyway. Would it be a good idea to add a few drops of liquid Scopex into the bucket to pep them up a tad???

Polly:

Polly:

It's just the sugars/salts coming out of them and they will still be ok to use.

Brilliant, should be going this weekend so most will get used up anyway. Would it be a good idea to add a few drops of liquid Scopex into the bucket to pep them up a tad???
It certainly won't do any harm mate

Think I'll be piking from late October so wont get to do much carp fishing in the winter. Given that shelf life boilies are already 6 months old will they be ok next spring (april) when I make the switch back to carping. They are all in buckets but seals are broken on some, should I freeze these or do I need to chuck them. Mulberry and Monster Crab look fine (no white covering as Scopex, yet!!!) bur will they hold onto their flavour or be too hard come springtime?