Lomond Pike

Severn Wolf

As far as I know coarse fishing is still free on the loch. May be worth checking with the local toursist office when you get there. There should be one in Balloch, the town at the bottom of the loch.

If you are keen on fishing Balmaha bay the garden centre offers parking near to the bank for a small fee, might be worth checking out. The garden center is on your left as you drive up the east side of the loch.

The bay is shallow and most anglers wade out before casting. I dont think its necessary but If people are wading out around your bait then you have little choice.

Balmaha pier is deep and you will need a pod as its either rock you fish from or the jetty.

Have a good time an let me know how you get on.

Cheers mate, great info. Its looking like they`ll definitely be space for the gear in the car so I`ll have to dig the fag lighter cooler box out for the baits!

Have the pike got any preference for certain baits? I`ll only be chucking deads out.

wolf.gif

What's ERM?

Can't beat the trinity of Loch Lomond, a concert and piking but had a very interesting overnight session on Firtree flash many years ago. Saturday night and the adjacent labour club had an extension for a wedding reception. Bright lights and Agadoo realy put the fish in a mood as well as a few couples in the bushes. Sneaked in the snooker room every half hour for a pint of Tetley's mild. Aaah memories. :):)

I dont think they have any preference for baits, I am always confident with smelt on, but trout, roach, lamprey, perch & mackrel all work well. Sardines and herring should work well but I never use them for fear of losing the bait on a cast.

I took my son up there last year camping and fishing. Didn't manage to catch though.

I usually get an email telling me all that's on around Loch Lomand but I have not recived one about REM. When it's on?? looks like Liam & I may have to head north again

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

• 4 years later...
Well, it turns out I`ve managed to blag a couple of tickets for the forthcoming REM tour and have decided to go to the one on the banks of Lomond. The plan is to camp up there for a few days after the gig and the temptation is to chuck some pike gear in the motor and give it a go. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Balloch area is any good for them this time of year? We`re probably staying a bit more north of Balloch but its a starting point.
Balloch is my home town. Loch Lomond and the River Leven are some of the places I cut my angling teeth. The sand pits at Midross should be a good place to have a go.

Midross_Quarry.kmz

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote