Wreck fishing yesterday.

wildcard

I took my mates John and Lofty out yesterday to a group of wrecks called 'the graveyard' about 50 miles from Hartlepool. Ivan was on a course nearby so he came out for a ride with us and ended up driving the boat ;)

The video has been stuck in the youtube process all day so I uploaded it here til it clears.

Youtube Video ->

http://s335.photobucket.com/albums/m448/wi...ldcardgold2.flv

Alan

Edited by wildcard

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

I took my mates John and Lofty out yesterday to a group of wrecks called 'the graveyard' about 50 miles from Hartlepool. Ivan was on a course nearby so he came out for a ride with us and ended up driving the boat ;)

The video has been stuck in the youtube process all day so I uploaded it here til it clears.

Alan

Brilliant video Alan, especially the sound track :thumbs: And look like you and your crew had a good day fishing as well.

Did you bait the pirk when pirking?

poogong

Edited by poogong

Guest challenge

Great video and she looks a smooth ride.

You certainly took more fish than we did (on chieftain) last time we where there.

Regards.

Brilliant video Alan, especially the sound track :thumbs: And look like you and your crew had a good day fishing as well.

Did you bait the pirk when pirking?

poogong

Hi poogong,

Our boatman Rob had the biggest fish both cod and ling. His ling weighed 15 1/2 lb gutted so would have nudged 20lb when caught and his cod were to around 10lb. He was using mono and bait inc stinky old mackeral. :huh:

Shads worked ok tipped with squid, but took smaller cod. Hopefully we will be back there on Saturday to fish a different group of wrecks. I didn't try pirking as it was 264 feet deep - too much like hard work :D

Alan

Edited by wildcard

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Great video/music and good cod and ling.Nice one :)

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

We are having another run off daft oclock tomorrow because of the lock situation at Hartlepool. We will be fishing a different set of graveyard wrecks. I will try some big squid baits over slack water. Might be interesting, I'll post a report either way.

Youtube Video ->

Alan

Great stuff she looks fantastic,just one thing.........if you are gonna carry on like that you might wanna consider a bigger landing net lol :D

Just had a look at the vidoe and it looks like you managed a few fish but it looks like the stamp of fish expected out there have not shown yet as they seem to be of about the same size as are being caught on the inshore grounds

When would you expect the bigger specimens to show, back end of the year or when the spratts arrive

I like fishing a pennel rig with a big bait over the slack water period and just at the start of the tide as thats when I feel I've more of a chance of a big ling than at any other time. Slack water seems to get them out of their holes and on the hunt for food and I think they do that better than cod as I believe them to be that bit more predatory

Be interested to hear your thoughts

Just had a look at the vidoe and it looks like you managed a few fish but it looks like the stamp of fish expected out there have not shown yet as they seem to be of about the same size as are being caught on the inshore grounds

When would you expect the bigger specimens to show, back end of the year or when the spratts arrive

I like fishing a pennel rig with a big bait over the slack water period and just at the start of the tide as thats when I feel I've more of a chance of a big ling than at any other time. Slack water seems to get them out of their holes and on the hunt for food and I think they do that better than cod as I believe them to be that bit more predatory

Be interested to hear your thoughts

Hi Brian. We are just having a play around at the moment making videos until we start chartering after the 14th April. The big cod seem too busy spawning and I reckon mid April onwards should see an improvement. The biggest ling was just short of 20lb with a few double figure cod. We have scaled up our gear for this next trip as we were constantly losing it.

For some reason I didn't put this cod on the video.

SDV_0108_0001.jpg

Our crewman Rob is a big lad and it looks smaller than it is. Here's his ling which was exactly 4ft long but looks like a sandeel. :huh:

SDV_0101_0001.jpg

Here's my apprentice Lofty holding the same fish

SDV_0102_0001.jpg

I could do with some lads/lasses around 12-14 years old to hold these fish up.

Alan AKA wildcard

Youtube Video ->

Alan

I was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time.

I had a great days fishing with great company.

The "Wildcard" is an experience on its own.

Alan and Mike will be giving anglers what I call the "American experience"

Get to the marks fast, spend maximum time fishing, and get back fast.

Moving between wrecks was done very quickly and gave you the chance to find were the fish were feeding,

I took my steering certificate (deepsea) ages ago, so to steer a boat at 27+ knots was something I have never done in my life before.

All in all this boat together with the Chieftain and the rest of the Whitby charterers will make Whitby one of the top sea angling venues in the UK.

Roll on April :D:D