Flotation suits versus Carp suits

Arf

Hi All,

Being of an African persuasion and rather lean, I suffer when the temperature drops below 15 celsius, which unfortunately is pretty much all year long bar a couple of days in the UK.

I have recently been doing some night sea fishing, and I turn into a slurring, shivering wreck minutes after the sun disappears, and no I don't usually drink alcohol while fishing.

I tried to dress warmly last time - two pairs of socks over cat boots, tracksuit trousers over snowboarding trousers on legs. long sleeved thermal vest + long sleeve cotton jumper + long sleeve jersey + wind and water proof jacket on top. Still I froze.

So, I am considering investing in a flotation suit, but I was chatting to someone the other day who told me he found his old Wychwood carp suit warmer than his flotation suit. I am only buying a suit for warmth and weatherproofness, not to double as a lifejacket should I end up swimming.

Please advise based on your experience with the two. Should I buy off the bay of E, I will also need some kind of an idea what size to go for. I am 5'10'' and weigh a staggering 100lb.

Thanks,

Arf

As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!

if its boat fishing your into flotation suits float hence the term ,try wearing a fleece suit under it because if you go overboard you will get far colder wearing fleece and float less.

fleece isnt weatherproof and hardly windproof ,fine under things but pretty useless otherwise.

i would try toughening up though its cheaper all round ,it doesnt get really cold in england its temperate :rolleyes:

if not find a tesco freezer employee and buy a suite of him ,its windproof breathable and warm for the nights your tash gets icicles.i used nickwax on mine and now its showerproof too

mines made by delf freezer wear ,unit 12 enterprise way teddington .

not sure the company still exists though.

hmmm it does

http://www.delf.co.uk/coldwear.php

a two piece would be better than my one piece ,just skiing stuff i expect but the long coat looks good

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Arf,

I don't wear 'carp suits', so can't comment on them. I do however, wear this flotation suit a lot.

I reckon a carp suit may offer slightly more in the way of mobility, but it would be hard-pressed to beat the flotation suit on a windy beach. That flotation suit is one item I just couldn't do without.

There are times I'd like a two-piece version, especially if I'm wearing it on a hike. Any suit is fairly bulky, so tends to get worn when walking to your fishing spot - this one is generally dripping wet inside by the time I get there!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

try not wearing the top half and tying the arms around your waist (or where it was when you were young :D ) keeps the temp down a bit walking and provided more padding from your box bouncing as you gaily stride to your place on the beach ,you know the rocky bit you dont want to fish in because everyone else strided there faster and earlier and took the bit you did fancy :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Chesters and Elton,

I shall give my friend Ashley who works in Tesco freezers a ring and see if he can get suits for reduced prices. Otherwise, both cold storage and fladen flotation suits look roughly similar in price.

I reckon the cold storage suit would be warmer, but the flotation suit does have other advantages I guess, especially if I end up doing some boat fishing at some point.

I should also point out that actually after doing some calculations I weight 143lb, not 100lb as originally stated! Elton how big are you? What size suit do you wear?

As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!

Arf,

I'm probably a couple of inches shorter than you and, err, bigger-boned (14 1/2 stone). My flotation suit is a size L.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Thanks Chesters and Elton,

I shall give my friend Ashley who works in Tesco freezers a ring and see if he can get suits for reduced prices. Otherwise, both cold storage and fladen flotation suits look roughly similar in price.

I reckon the cold storage suit would be warmer, but the flotation suit does have other advantages I guess, especially if I end up doing some boat fishing at some point.

I should also point out that actually after doing some calculations I weight 143lb, not 100lb as originally stated! Elton how big are you? What size suit do you wear?

I suggest you get a large suit. The medium will just feel a bit short in the leg. Fladen sizes are smaller tha sundridge/mustad...I use a large sundridge 2 piece (sundridge jacket, titan salopettes) and a large mustad 1 piece. Flotation suits are more weatherproof than any of the alternatives suggested here so if you find you're fihsing a rock/harbour that's kicking up a lot of spray in addition to rain and wind, you'll thank your lucky stars you have the proper kit on.

I can very highly recommend the brands suggested in this reply. Do not buy IMAX...they have a terrible reputation for falling to bits.