Another thick moment

Ziffy

The test curve is the weight when applied to the rod that will bend it to a right angle.

Knowing the test curve will give a guide as to what braking strain line can safely be used and also the weight of a lead or feeder. carbon fibre is a more versatile material and will safely handle lines and weights above and below. Richard Walker always said multiply the test curve by 3 for the minimum breaking strain and by 6 for the maximum. transpose the test curve in punds to ounces to find the optimum weight of legers etc.

The use of test curves to evaluate the action & power of rods seems to have diminished to a large extent lately.

The answer I was given from the firms I queried, was that with the advances made in modern rod making materials, rods with 'soft' actions can be made with considerable power through various stages of the fighting bend, also the mix of action/power is now much more varied.

The end result was that the standard test curve evaluation, 90deg from butt to tip, is of little importance in determining what a rod can or can't do.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.