tope fishing

Worms

Morning all,

My sea fishing (boat) exploits have been limited to perhaps 10 or 12 trips in my life. They usually involved thornback, whiting, doggies and mackerel in Cardigan Bay. The last time I went was probably about 12-15 years ago.

My local pub has arranged a trip for tope etc. with an experienced skipper, 8 of us on a 12 man boat so plenty of space and knowledge (most of the other guys going are frequent sea anglers).

My question is mainly about rod and reel combos. I have 20lb and 30lb carbon composite rods of about 7' long, aged but in good nick. Obviously lead choice will depend on the tide etc at the time but a friend commented that the normal leads used are 6-8oz. I was thinking about using a reel capable of holding about 250 yds of 18-25lb line and taking both rods.

Any suggestions on a suitable, cheapish (but not £19.99 cheap and nasty obviously) reel to fit the bill? The main target species will be tope, spurdog, possibly thornback (if there are any left) with a view to some wreck fishing later in the year using the 30lb rod. This will be mainly for pollack. The average catches on the boat are tope of around 20-40lb, and pollack 10-15lb.

I've been swatting up on the latest tope legislation and techniques etc so I'm up to speed and apparently the skipper is sh1t hot when it comes to fish care so I'm really looking forward to getting salty and covered in mackerel scales again.

I've done the normal internet searches for a reel (preferably left hand wind as I struggle using my right hand to wind things in!) but I'm more confused than when I started now.

Hopefully this will become a several times a year thing from now on but I was looking for a reel (could be a good secondhand one) that I can have confidence in that will last me for a few trips.

If anybody was going to suggest junking the rods then I'll contemplate going the split cane and centrepin route to match all of my coarse tackle! B)

All suggestions welcome, Tightlines, Nick

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Something like a shimano charter special 1000 would be perfect but they don't do elft hand wind. not sure which reels do come in left hand wind so maybe you'll need to hunt around a bit. I suggest a lever drag reel, with or without a levelwind, about the size of an abu 7000.

Abu 6501 will suit all your needs from tope fishing to pollock fishing and will handle most fish in UK waters with the exception of big fish like conger

01 on any Abu reel regardless of size means left handed, I think they're great boat reels should do as I have 5 of them

Abu 6501 will suit all your needs from tope fishing to pollock fishing and will handle most fish in UK waters with the exception of big fish like conger

01 on any Abu reel regardless of size means left handed, I think they're great boat reels should do as I have 5 of them

That'll be 6 now then :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Come on then, whats the best boat reel ever, i say the 624. :) unbreakable and will pull up anything and there are still lots and lots of them still being used today, Just how old are they.

Why have 6 abu's when you can have just one 624 then. :icecream:

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I would'nt have a 624 simply because its a bit too big and cumbersome for the type of fishing I do, its a pretty bomb proof reel and one thats certainly passed any test of time

I have an Abu 7000 for boat work and for the bigger stuff a Penn gld50 lever drag reel as well as four of the famous Scarbrough reels

If I had to pick a reel as best for boat fishing I think I'd plump for the old Scarbrough as its about the easiest and most adaptable reel to use and one whose design has stood the test of time, probably more bomb proof than any other reel

Right, a cunning plan is emerging involving a Mitchell!

Anybody know where I can get drag components (the fibre discs mainly) for a 602?

I've just found out that my old Winfield nautilus 30 is a mitchell 602 in disguise! A bit of re-machining and fabrication of proper bushes and replacement of crappy drag components with the real thing might give me a good, very cheap reel B)

Oh yes it'll become a left hooker on the way

Edited by Worms

Right, a cunning plan is emerging involving a Mitchell!

Anybody know where I can get drag components (the fibre discs mainly) for a 602?

I've just found out that my old Winfield nautilus 30 is a mitchell 602 in disguise! A bit of re-machining and fabrication of proper bushes and replacement of crappy drag components with the real thing might give me a good, very cheap reel B)

Oh yes it'll become a left hooker on the way

OK, an update, the Woolies reel is not a 602 in disguise! I checked measurements on the Mitchell reel museum website and it appears to be midway between a 622 and a 624! It still takes the same size drag components though....how do I know that?

Well I had to nip up to town and on the way back I wandered into a junk shop that occasionally sells old fishing tackle........ten minutes later and I am the proud owner of a model 600 for £15 (knocked down from £22.50). I've stripped the reel, it has the plastic/fibreglass spool, and it only requires a freespool mechanism spring. From the website I think the 600 is about 1965 vintage with the wide spool.

So, I still require the drag disc components (for the Woolies jobbie) but now I am thinking about a metal spool for the 600. Obviously Im going to have to make another mainshaft to reverse it to a left 'ooker but that's life.

So a few questions if you don't mind.

Are the plastic spools liable to burst as I have heard or is it just a nasty rumour?

Should the drag mechanism be covered in grease or should it run dry?

Has anybody got any of the above spare parts they would like to sell please?

Has anybody got a manual for one?

Is the 600 a reel that everybody points at and sniggers quietly about while muttering things like "poor old fool, they saw him coming" or does it follow the Mitchell "not a bad bit of kit" line?

Are the plastic spools liable to burst as I have heard or is it just a nasty rumour?

If you are using mono and winding in under tension, yes. Not sure if plastic spools bust so easily with braid.

As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!