Campaign Plans

Severn Wolf

Chesh, the spot I`ve got earmarked is a hole no more than 20ft across thats surrounded by five feet of water. When I bumped into it the amount of fish in the bay was incredible. The thing is the only fish that show on the place are the damn grass carp and roach, I`ve never seen so much as a carp pop its head out yet! Its reed lined round 90% of the place and most swims are inaccessable short of a big chuck from the far bank.

I`ve always found estate lakes to be moody at the best of times, this place certainly takes number 1 spot!

I was thinking about maples or maize and fish it on a stack rig but want to try and avoid as much attention off the tench and bream as possible, the head of carp is small, as far as I can make out there may be a possible 3 scraper 30s so being that the swim is pretty tight I don`t want to have to keep disturbing it.

Oh, particles are allowed, just so long as they`re not nuts or hemp.

wolf.gif

If the grassies are decent size they can be fun as well. The only thing you have to watch for is their habit of sometimes coming to the net while still green and only getting excited when you have landed them. Good idea usually to make a fuss with the net when they first come to shore and let them make another run and tire themselves out a bit.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt, I know only too well what those little sods are capable of!! We used to give them a right hammering on Himley Pool and I totally agree that theres no scrap at all until they`re on the mat, then the fireworks start!!

I really don`t want one of those in the middle of the night thanks!!!

wolf.gif

LOL - they can create a fuss, can't they?

But I was serious about spooking them when they first decide to come quietly to the net. The second set of runs is great and when they decide to come to you this time, it is because they are tired rather than because they are bored.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I've got on disc a recent fishing programme, not sure which, with Matt Hayes catching a Grass Carp.

It was very disorientated when he returned it to the water & kept swimming back towards the bank. Matt Heyes got in the water trying to point it in the right direction when it suddenly set off & fair whacked into his shins, causing him to double over & curse! :D

It can't be too often that you wished you'd put your shin pads on before going fishing.

I can save the clip as an Mpeg if anyone wants to watch it, but I would have to e-mail it unless someone can host it for download??

[ 02. March 2005, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: rabster ]

that program arbster was lake escapes and Matty was over in Le Mans

but back to the business of the baiting campaign !! if all your getting in the hole is grassies and roach ten its time to move matey ! you could be piling in the feed there and its being scoffed by the afore mentioned grassies !! start baiting margin swims matey if its clear enough! if you can wade safely cut a small swim in the reeds maybe?? only if its extremelysafe to do so and a solid bottom, not silt!!

maybe you ccould look at introducing partimix into a few swims, the thing with pellets and particled=s though is Bream love it and will happily sit on top of 5kilo of particles and wolf the lot down :( expensive way of fidning out too !!

tough situation matey to be in and one that probably as no easy answer :( chick peas might be a good alterntive to boilies sort of same shape and size, might be an idea

www.stoneyandfriends.co.uk

Chesh, great call mate, I hadn`t considered Partiblend!!!

I`ve actually had nothing out the hole yet, I bumped into it at the end of the summer, went to fish it and promptly snapped the rotten staging!!

The more I think about your idea the more I`m going to bait a load of spots and spend a few days just walking round keeping an eye on them. Its a big enough place (20 acres) for the fish to hide away so time spent looking for them is never wasted eh!

I know if I find some then a worm will get a take, my style of carping there, but when over the hole I`m still in a quandry as to the best hookbaits to use!!

wolf.gif