You're all invited...

I know I haven't posted in awhile but wanted to let y'all know that I frequently visit and refer carpers (via my personal page) to the Articles and Review sections, and Gaffer's Clinic...GREAT stuff. There's only so much computer time a guy can spend and I'm guilty of spending most of my available time on Ohio fishing forums spreading the word about carping within my home state.

Having said that.... I'd like to extend an invite to all AN members, that may be visiting the U.S this summer, to attend any of our Carp Angler's Group Fish In's. They can be seen at

http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/fishins.html .. Please check back frequently as additional events are being added as state chairs get them organized.

Many great things are going on this year....in addition to many more state level fish in's we've got two international events this year; one a two member team competition in Austin, Tx (30 teams total with representation by other countries) as well as a Youth Carping Clinic/tournament in the State of New York...with "Harry Potter" participating and being the big draw...this is a joint venture by several organizations within and outside the U.S.

For the first time this year...we had a presence at state level sportshows outside of Illinois. The east coast guys did a great job in Connecticut...as did the state of Indiana in the midwest. Lots of positive exposure and response from the public...not to mention new memberships for the CAG. BassPro Shops...even hosted a carping presentation at it's store in Cincinnati, Ohio and since then some of the attendees have asked for a return presentation...this time bankside on the Ohio River in July.

It's a great time to be a carper in the U.S.....please join us bankside if you find yourself in the area...I would enjoy the opportunity of sharing the banktime...and in thanking you UK carpers for the hair rig in particular. When it's coupled with the packbaits I learned from the North Carolina Paylakers...it's deadly. Homemade nutrabaits pineapple/banana pop-ups inside a molasses or chocolate flavored steam rolled oats packbait (similar to fishing the method...but packed around the haired hookbait instead of a feeder or around the lead.)..was great for me last year.

Good carping all...hope to see you on the bank.

PS...if you find yourself visiting at other times than the Fish In's and are interested in doing some carping...we've got CAG members in most every state that would be glad to point you in the right direction and possibly even join you bankside.

And if Newt hasn't already told you...he's now the CAG Chair for North Carolina. A great ambassadeur for the sport.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to Florida in April/May and would like to do some carping while there. I will be staying on Clearwater Beach and would appreciate it very much if someone could point me in the right direction for where I could fish and some good tackle shops that would sell bait etc. Thanks

Jon

JMW - the lower part of Florida is one part of the US I've never had luck getting carping information about. Some in the panhandle (the upper section) but never any on the boot (lower portion).

No idea why either since the area should be great for them as it is for many other fish.

I'll post a query on the CAG forum to see if anyone has a clue. If so, I'll point you toward the thread.

edit note: the news isn't good. Take a look Here. If you want more info, feel very free to sign up and post questions there.

[ 11. March 2003, 03:52 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

JMW...as Newt has said seems Florida might be difficult. We do have one CAG member in Florida...Jacksonville area by the name of Nick... email L.A.LEE@WORLDNET.ATT.NET He would probably be your best source.

BTW...I did watch a great fishing show for grass carping in Florida a year or so ago. In the canals, as mentioned by Newt's thread referral...a charter captain took folks around during the time mulberries were ripening and dropping into the water...they caught some nice ones floating mulberries.

JMW...forgot to mention. Don't hesitate to email Nick...he has communicated with other carpers, from the UK too, in the past who were vacationing in Florida. I've never met him but, he's a long standing member. I've made many a new carping friend through the CAG..doing just this...sending emails to CAG members I'd never met asking for information on their state...we CAGr's love to share our passion for carping with those interested.

Noticed I messed up the email addy...here it will hopefully work better

mailto:L.A.LEE@WORLD.ATT.NETL.A.LEE@WORLD.ATT.NET

[ 12. March 2003, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Buckeye Bob ]

Buckeye Bob:

JMW...forgot to mention.  Don't hesitate to email Nick...he has communicated with other carpers, from the UK too, in the past who were vacationing in Florida.  I've never met him but, he's a long standing member.  I've made many a new carping friend through the CAG..doing just this...sending emails to CAG members I'd never met asking for information on their state...we CAGr's love to share our passion for carping with those interested.

Noticed I messed up the email addy...here it will hopefully work better  

mailto:L.A.LEE@WORLD.ATT.NETL.A.LEE@WORLD.ATT.NET

Bob,

Thanks for that mate!! I will send him an email.

Jon

JMW - you might want to take another look at the thread if you haven't in a couple of days.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt,

Thanks for that, I didnt realise that you had made such an effort!! It is very much appreciated!!! My uncle lives in Florida and owns a country club on a golf course (East Bay Country Club). It has a couple of lakes present and I have seen alot of fish that look like carp (in the water), although I havnt been for a couple of years and did not fish for carp that much then. They have what look like nests in the shallows of the lake, they are mud holes the shape of a bird nest. Do you have any idea what these fish might be and or what fish are likly to be in such a lake, if I had to guess I would say that the lake is at least 20 years old, probably nearer 40 years old. thanks again for all your help.

Cheers

Jon

P.S. The fish mentioned where probably between 2-10lbs.