Sturgeon

Mald

I was out over the weekend putting a couple of days in and didn't have anything worth talking about on the carp front but in the middle of the night hooked into an almighty Sturgeon.

This was my 1st and once i'de got over the shock of thinking I'de caught a shark I was pretty impressed with the beast.

talking to a few chaps come the morning though these things are not liked amongst carp anglers...

I quite enjoyed playing the thing myself even if it was a pain to get in the landing net.

Why are these fish so dis-liked by Carpers :confused:

because they can be a nuisance fish taking the bait before the carp get a chance too this happens mostly in lakes in france and other countries where the sturgeon grow pretty big where did u catch yours from they arent very common in the uk

They may be considered a nuisance by some but I'm personally happy to catch a nuisance fish bigger than most (all) carp. I had 3 x 40's and a 50 from a lake in France last year and they put up a real impressive battle (had a bit of trouble putting them in my weigh sling though :D ).

In the UK, I think, they are illegal to stock that said I know at least one water with them in.

Rob.

Rob.

A few waters have sturgeon in them in the North West, up to about 30 to 40lb.

________ and Beaconsview to name but two!

And he is right. they fight pretty good for " A nuisance fish".

Keith

The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.

If it's illegal to stock them I better be careful about what I say ... I didn't know that.

Why is that ?

And yep they are cracking fighters. I was pretty convinced I had a Catfish on until I saw that shark like tail top.

They are non indigenous fish. Carp have been 'naturalised' whilst catfish can only be stocked into waters where they are already present. AFAIK sturgeon come under neither category and are classed as 'illegal aliens'. They can possibly only be stocked in waters classed as fish farms where the excuse could be they are 'ornamentals' but I don't think I'd fancy one in my pond

Rob.

dont sturgeon need to be approved by the EA for stocking? if they are caught the EA should be informed then appropriate action will be taken to remove the fish :( sad i know but from what i remember being told they can carry a disease's :( not good !!

www.stoneyandfriends.co.uk

Budgie,

They are not prolific here in the N,West to be a nuisance fish, I think he must be talking about Carping in Europe!

I know I would not mind catching a few of them in a session

:)

Keith

The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.