New, Please help

Raxs

I have recently got into fishing but know nothing about it. Can anybody help me to buy the right equiptment for fishing the local dams? I have looked at information but there are so many different rods and equiptment the i just dont know what I need. Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke to some people at the tackle shop but the just sniggered at me! You have got to start somewhere right? I want to be casting about 30+ foot but the weights are just sinking my float. I need a decent rod preferable with a good reel. If anybody has bait tips please let me know as I have been using dough with tuna juice. And how far up my line should I be attaching my float? I really just want to get started now and get a good rod and equiptment so if you can let me know what is the best it would be really helpful, :)

recommend scouring amazon or a local book store for a decent beginners book and take it from there!!

Also i cannot believe what you witnessed at a tackle shock, truely shocking, all the tackle shops I have always been in have always done their upmost to gain new customers such as yourself that will probably be spending a lot of money at their establishment while learning the ropes!! maybe try and go in again but state first thing you are a complete novice and don't try to confuse yourself or them by asking for things you have perhaps seen or heard you need to buy!!

As for information on where you are swimming i.e. depths and best baits then I would attempt to find a local or better still a bayliff or someone who works at the particular water!!

Hope this helps, any thing else just ask and the guys here will help you out (as best they can)

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

Do you have a fishing license??

I do yeah, they just sorta looked at eachother and basically took the pee. I have never seen a Bayliff round our Dams, probably why we get idiots messing about round our spots. I been on Ebay and found a 12ft TFG X-Plus Multi Tip Fishing Feeder Ledger Rod and a RON THOMPSON ZENSORFLEX BEACHCASTER 13ft three piece rod. they seem to be what im after, i just need a reel if i get one of them. I will have a read up too, thanks MJ

I have recently got into fishing but know nothing about it. Can anybody help me to buy the right equiptment for fishing the local dams? I have looked at information but there are so many different rods and equiptment the i just dont know what I need. Thanks

Hi Raxs, welcome to AN :)

Are you in the UK or elsewhere? If you describe the kinds of places where you'll be fishing and the species that are in there (if you know that) that will help people give advice.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi Raxs, welcome to AN :)

Are you in the UK or elsewhere? If you describe the kinds of places where you'll be fishing and the species that are in there (if you know that) that will help people give advice.

Hi, Im in Sheffield up in high green. we have about 4 dams within walking distance and im guessing they have carp in, but im not certain. I have seen some carping equiptment for pretty cheap, but i want to catch other fish too.

Guest Chris Perch

Hi, The tackle you will need depends on the type of fishing you are going to do and also how much you want to spend,

For most of my fishing I use a John wilson avon quiver rod which is 11ft with a two ft extension to 13ft comes with an avon top and a quiver top with three quiver tips of different sizes.

I find it a great all round rod which will handle most fish in most situations on lakes or rivers and I have even had carp to 23lb on it.

For a reel you will want a medium sized feeder reel (Shimano have a good range) preferably with two or more spools to take different breaking strain lines.(IE 4lb for light float fishing, 6lb for feeder fishing or for bigger fish and maybe 10lb for carp barbel etc)

As I said a set up like this will handle most fishing situations and will be a great starting point.

You will also need a landing net, A large spoon shaped net of about 24" across will be ample to net fish up to about 20lb and if your going to target large fish such as carp then an unhooking mat is a very good idea.

A few different sized waggler floats and split shot will also be needed for casting 30yds you will need a large waggler and a smaller one for fishing in the margins (The edge)

Most floats have shotting capacities printed on the sise and be sure to test them before fishing also shotting patterns are important as you will need to present the bait correctly and dont forget to get a plummet for plumming the depth as you will need your bait to be on the bottom on most occasions.

As for split shot you will need a mixed box which can be bought for about £5

As for bait the humble maggott is great for most species so is sweetcorn and luncheon meat for larger fish such as carp and tench.

Then its just a case of getting out there and learn by your mistakes and any tips you can get from other anglers a GOOD tackle shop will give you plenty more tips and im sure you can pick up lots more tips on here.

Hope this helps - Chris. :fishing1::thumbs:

If there are other anglers at your venue spend a couple of hours there without your tackle.

Put on your best freindly face and aproach your quary with stealth and cunning.(good practice for fishing) No heavy footsteps or loud noises and keep off the skyline. Ask if he or she minds you watching for a little while and I am sure he will say yes. Just watch what he does for a little while and if he is catching offer a few well chosen questions. Dont just ask what bait or how deep, you can see that for yourself but by all means ask WHY he is using corn and not maggots. Let him know you are trying to think for yourself and dont just want to know where to fish, how and with what. Let him know early on that you have just started and tell him that if he finds you at all annoying to just ask you to leave. He wont. Dont overstay your welcome.

In other words just be courteous and I am sure you will learn plenty.

I note you are a junior so make sure your parents know what you are doing and be carefull.

Thanks for all the advice im 18 dont know how to change the junior thing. i did some research and im going to use a reel as aposed to a pole. I saw a good carp starter kit but i will take your advice and look for the correct gear :)