Setting Up Alarms

Elton

Posted on behalf of Graham:

quote:

have recently taken up carp fishing. may sound a bit thick of me have got carp pod ect how do u connect line ect to alarms? ta

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham, you need to use your alarms in combination with some sort of bite indicator, which will put the line under sufficient tension for it to sit correctly on the roller of the alarm.

I found a review on night fishing on here that covers the fundamentals of how to use a bite alarm. The whole article is HERE

But I’ve also copied below the part relating to bite alarm set up.

quote:

Bite alarms start from a standard roller/magnets type right up to a digital unit with a remote receiver.

Basic Bite alarms are in the position of a front rod rest with the mainline running over a roller with magnets and a Read Switch.

Line is tensioned over the roller by either a ‘bobbin’/‘dangler’ or a ‘Swinger’, which also acts as a visual indicator. Therefore if a fish picks up the bait and takes line (away from the rod) the indicator will rise and the alarm will sound. If the fish picks up the bait and moves towards the rod the indicator will lower, taking up the slack mainline, whilst sounding the alarm.

A fish taking line is known as a ‘Run’, as fish moving towards the rod making the indicator to lower is known as a ‘Drop back’.

and a diagram of the set up: -

buzzer.jpg

quote:

A) Rod.

(
B)
Bite Alarm.

© Indicator rising as line is taken showing a ‘Running’ indication with Bite Alarm sounding.

(D) Normal or Static position of Indicator.

(E) Indicator dropping as slack line is taken up showing ‘Drop Back’ indication with Bite Alarm sounding.

(F) Line Clip trapping line if using the open Bail Arm method.

Good luck & I hope you soon hear your alarms screeching away when you get a take. It always makes me jump out of my skin when the darn things go off.

• 4 weeks later...

Graham,

Remember that the diagram taken from that article is only a sketch. If there had been enough room for a bigger sketch it would have shown the bite alarm further away from the reel. Have a look next time you see someone using a bite alarm, I think that most people position the rod so that the alarm is the other side of the second ring.

Please take this as a friendly comment, Rabster did well to find an article that answered your question.

Pete

Well spotted Pete & Ant! In the words of Capt. Mainwaring, I wondered how long it would take someone to spot that! :D

To be honest, I hadn't noticed, but I make you both right(ish).

I usually put my butt ring tight up against the alarm, which sounds the same as Carping Mad.

Pete mentions putting the alarm "the other side of the second ring" That sounds a long way down the rod to me, or am I getting confused? Come to think of it, I was born confused & from that point on things seemed to get a whole lot more muddled. :confused:

lol. agree with most of rabster there :D

I am a little confused, but different rods have different ring positions, maybe :)

Unless i have everything realy squashed up i put the butt ring up against the alarm, for the reason mensitoned above :)

I have also seen a lot of people put the first/butt ring just behind the alarm, i am not overly sure for the reason for this, maybe its just personal preference but the only time i do this is if i am using different alarms, as the butt rings sits higer than the line roller on the alarms and so i put the butt ring behind the alarm so the line falls straight through the roller, and provides better indication :)

Regs....Ant

Hang on, I'm getting more confused by the minute, I can feel one of my attacks coming on! Nurse, fetch my medicine!

Here's my one buttring1.jpg

The alarm on the right shows the buttring just in front of the alarm. Is this the best method? Is that what everyone else does??

Get your buttrings out for the lads!!!!