Carp Fishing - Canada

Ron Gillatt

Hi All,

This is my first post and I am looking for advise. I live in Ontario, Canada (after 55years in Cheshire)and I am looking to 're - start' my fishing hobby. I was never very good at fishing but I enjoyed myself and I loved catching carp when I could.

Here, they use little 6' or 7' rods for everything!! They are like 'tooth picks' when compared to UK gear. What is the best set up for fishing for carp on a small lake - is it to float fish, or just weight the line and bottom fish? Any help would be most welcome and any sites that have diagrams of tackle set up would be great. I have been here five years and I am looking forward to fishing again.

Kindest regards to you all,

Ron Gillatt

Woodstock

Ontario

Hi Ron and welcome to AnglersNet.

Either approach should work fine if the lake is typical for North America where you will be the only person targeting carp - or one of very few.

If you like longer rods, you can mail order from Cabelas. Their Predator rods are not expensive and are excellent rods for the money. Otherwise, Paul Pezella in Chicago has a good range of gear. www.wackerbaits.com or 708-660-0866

When does it usually freeze where you live? Not a lot of open water fishing time left this year I imagine.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi 'Newt'

Thanks for the reply. The lakes where there are no other people are in an area known as '30,000 Islands' and that is about right. It is about 6-7 hours north of here if you are driving! You can have fishing holidays on these islands with a guarantee that there is nobody else there!! There is still some open water fishing, it does not really get too cold until mid - late November, it is 21 degrees today, warm and sunny with a light breeze. I live about 100 miles west of Toronto in South West Ontario.

I prefer a longer rod and as my son lives in Macclesfield in Cheshire I have got him looking for one for me. I will be over at New Year.

Thanks for the help,

Ron

If you are making a UK trip then getting rods there certainly makes good sense. If you need gear and aren't going to cross the pond any time soon, I can highly recommend Paul. Except for his fondness for Fox products, he is a very reasonable man. :D:D

I'm about 1000Km due south of you. Near Charlotte, NC in the US.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President