Bait bomb

Neal

On some waters I fish, method feeding is banned :( but I was thinking of using the bait bomb, coz when you reel it in all you have is your lead and no method feeder, therefore no evidence :D . Has anyone used these bait bombs? And if so any good? Or, do you just mould the mixture around the lead and save yourself a £5?

[ 11. March 2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Neal ]

Why not try using a normal feeder or PVA bags of groundbait, i know its not the same as the method but its a bit of an alternative?!

"Carp are hard to catch in the winter, that also goes for the spring, summer, and the autumn"

Or try one of the many pack baits - you pack a large ball of whatever around your hookbait. Stays on thru the cast and, if made properly, will break down within 3-4 minutes and leave you with a hook bait in a little pile of goodies.

If you are interested, I can point you to some places for getting specifics on making them up.

Same thing can be done with a Gardner Bait Bomb where you can pack one to fit on hook or on weight - your choice.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

How does a bait bomb differ from a method feeder? I've never knowingly seen one.

You would probably be better off moulding the groundbait around a small wire cage feeder as opposed to the lead.

Depending on the definition of method feeding (mine would be that the groundbait is moulded around the feeder rather than placed in it, with no consideration of if the feeder is elasticated or not), aren't you bending the rules? If you don't like the fishery rules, fish elsewhere :) .

I'd admit that the "Groundbait in feeder only" and "No method feeder" rules together don't seem that logical, I guess it's that the method feeder ball of groundbait is larger than with a normal cage feeder, so it introduces a lot more groundbait per cast.

HonestDave :D .

The most common reason for the banning of Method feeders is that Method feeders tend to have more (lead) weight on the feeder itself as well as more wetter/heavier Method mix. The combined weight is usually a lot heavier than that of a normal cage feeder, or any other feeder for that matter.

Fishery managers/owners are afraid the the weight of the Method feeder will cause the hook to tear the fishes mouth because of the weight alone.

I'm unaware of any studies into this and personally I've never seen any damage to fish because of the use of Method feeders. Perhaps Bruno may be able to help here.

Unfortunately a Method feeder (or an equivalent) would/could be easily seen and heard compared with a cage feeder.

There are alternatives like putting the dry Method mix into a PVA bag and casting out.

hello gaffer!

many angling methods get restricted due to the ignorance of the minority. unfortunately carp angling attracts its fair share of neanderthals who ruin things for the rule abiding folk.

who would ban method feeders due to the weight imposed on a carps mouth? do they ban you from striking and playing them too? the groundbait breaks down. whats wrong with using heavy leads? how can a method feeder damage a carps mouth more than a 6oz lead or a scrap all the way to the net?

madness.

gaffer, come fish a proper pond.....

**sam**

fish safe kids!

Neal - a good one to start with is an article I wrote several years ago to introduce pack baits to UK anglers. http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/elton37.htm and you may want to read the companion piece about a venue and angler who were expert with them http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/elton36.htm . Not exaustive by any means but should give you enough of an idea to make use of other articles.

I'll dig up more info later.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President