Could be time to change bait

I'll admit something to you.

Shhh keep it a secret, promise ?

While I ring the changes often for other species I have been using Activ 8 for carp for ermm I don't know how long! As long as it first came out.

I have always been happy with it as it meets my needs.

Which are -

Consistency of manufacture.

I keep the last few ounces of mix from every bag just to compare it to the new bag/bucket. You'll be amazed at how often the new mix has only a pssing resemblance from what has previously been sold under the same name. Not with Mainline.

Easy to roll.

Easy to source it.

Every bait maker does it.

It is a rare day when a carp won't give you a chance when using it.

What would you suggest as a replacement ?

Cheers

Andy

ANMC Member, Go on you want to too !

Simon Newbould:

Nutrabaits BFM with cranberry and all the gubbins *s* I've been using it for years and have total confidence in it.....

But if you're happy with Activ-8 why change?

Simon

Hmm, is that the powdered gubbins or liquid gubbins :P

Hi Andy,

I know what you mean. I too have been using activ-8 since it first hit the shelves. A top mix that always seems to produce whatever the water/conditions.

A few of my friends are ‘bait-addicts’ constantly changing as each new ‘wonder-bait’ hits the shelves. I’ve stuck to Activ-8 right through, and I’d say seven times out of ten it has out-fished whatever bait they’re on.

I did a full season on a ‘hard’ Cheshire estate lake a few years back, where all the big fish seemed to be coming out on it. I wanted to try and get a bit of an edge on the rest, so I started experimenting by adding just a ml of flavor to the standard recipe (6 egg mix) just to make it that bit different.

The effect was amazing, and over the season I took most of the big fish including the lake record :D ,whilst those around me on standard activ-8 took only the odd fish here and there.

The flavors I find work best, are Squid & Octopus, or Garlic Oil. I’ve used the same approach over the last couple of years and have continued to score well.

Over the last 9 months my results on Activ-8 have started to drop-off, so I might look for something new this year, but nothing out there really excites me at the moment. I’ve tried Trigga, but I’ve been very disappointed with it so I won’t be buying anymore.

I’m quite tempted by the Shellfish B5 from Essential, I’ve had a few good fish on it in the past so I might do a bit more with it this year. A few mates have had some success on Grange Red over the last season so I might have a look at that as well.

One bait I’ll always have with me is Brazil nuts, for me they are one of the most underrated baits in carping, I’ll always have at least one rod with a Brazil on it, and more often than not it will be the first to roar off.

Cheers

Julian

[ 27 March 2002, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Julian ]

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Sorry the reason for the change is that I want to look at the alternatives rather than blindly carrying on.

I have added flavours and Robin Red to the mix from time to time.

Essentials Shellfish B5 is one I am looking at. Just love that plum tone. I'm going to fish it against the 8 next week just to see.

Cheers

Andy

ANMC Member, Go on you want to too !