Are these bite alarms any good

Brad Jones

Hilarious. Have you seen the seller's other items?

Why on earth would anybody advertise items on e-bay for 99p. Whoever it is, I wouldn't fancy fishing next to them at night.

The bite alarms are probably no better or no worse than all the other Taiwanese imports advertised in the fishing mags.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I would never buy anything unseen unless I was prepared to write it off or take a risk for the sheer hell of it. They look a bit naff, but on the other hand they might possibly be made using the same components as the more "socially acceptable" bite alarms. How do you mean that they seem to be selling loads? I only saw the two of them. It seemed a bit strange that the same person had two sets of brand new Avon scales as well.

I should think there's a fair chance that they would last long enough keep you going until you feel like splashing out on something that might be a bit more weather proof. I might be doing them a dis-service though as I've never seen them. To be honest, most people don't need anything too sophisticated. I wouldn't mind betting that most people who have bite alarms with all kinds of fancy settings, just set them up once and then never touch them after that.

If you want cheap bite alarms, the Badger ones seem to be at least one step up from the really cheap and nasty ones. Why not do the obvious and walk into a tackle shop to ask for advice?

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Have a look at Good Fishing alarms. This is the make I use myself. They're British-made and very reliable.

Even better, there's a special offer on selected models at the moment direct from the manufacturer. For instance the GFv offers variable tone plus variable volume and an extension socket for just £16.95! Go to http://www.good-fishing.co.uk/bitealarm.html

See also the GFM (reviewed a while back on Angler's Net), as above but with 2 levels of sensivity plus 3 extension sockets for £25 or 3 for £62! See http://www.good-fishing.co.uk/special.html

[ 21. December 2003, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

if you want some bargain alarms get the micron m's there about 19 99 each very good name and very reliable they dont stop working if they get a bit wet like most of the cheap ones that get full of water and stop working which could be a major problem if your fishing a nite.

Brad,

Pop down your local tackle shop and see what they have. There are 3 perhaps 4 makes that have models for around about 20 quid. Fox and Nash are both good brands and won't let you down.

Always remember that if you go cheap especially relatively unknown brands you risk them failing on you. If you are happy to take the risk and potentially lose fish because of it then go ahead.

Rob.

You might want to have a look at the Maver T115's, very positively reviewed in Anglers Mail a while back. Come with both volume and tone control, very waterproof, and priced around £18. Hopefully I've got two on their way via Santa :)

Paul