Waggler Shotting

enfield250

2bb = 1aa

For a 6bb float on the drop on a stillwater I would put an aa each side of the waggler.

Then I would put two or three maybee even 4 no 8, 9 or 10 droppers BELOW two thirds of the way down the mainline but above the hooklength.

A BB then added next to aa under float then either :

NO 4, 6 or 8 added just below bb under float until float sits in the water how I want it.

This way I KNOW my presentation at the business end is ok.

If I want to fish with a bait on the bottom and cannot get bait through small fish with above rig :

A BB each side of float.

Two or three no 8 or ten droppers.

Three bb and whatever extra smaller shot it takes for float to cock how you want it somewhere below two thirds down mainline with smaller shot below the bulk bb,s.

These are the two most basic waggler rigs in use.

Some like to use a bulk of no 8's instead of bb's etc or 2bb each side of float instead of 2 aa's.

Experiment until you find what suits you and conditions.

I have a shot conversion chart in my box so I can quickly work out shot weights

IE 1 ssg = 2aa = 4bb (cant remember anymore!!! thats why I keep laminated card!!)

It also has pole conversions on it as well.

ONE IMPORTANT THING to remember is that EVERY float is different and none ever seem to take the amount of shot stated.

EG : you buy two identical 6bb floats, one will take 6bb + a no 4 to shot correctly while the other will take 5bb a number 4 and a number 6.

This is why I get the business end droppers sorted first and then add shot under float to cock correctly.

[ 19. August 2005, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: RUDD ]

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Copy of a post I made earlier:

There's no standard for how much each size of shot weighs. The situation is better than it was in the days of lead, but not all makers use the same scale.

I use Anchor shot and buy the 6 division dispensers. I don't use no.1 shot for float fishing and so remove these from the dispenser. Instead I buy a tub of no.9 shot. This gives me the following sizes:

SSG = 1.6 grams

AAA = 0.8 grams

BB = 0.4 grams

4 = 0.2 grams

6 = 0.1 grams

9 = 0.05 grams

Each of these (with Anchor) is then exactly half the weight of the next heavier size. I keep them in this order in the dispenser so that it's quick and easy to get at the size I want.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• 3 weeks later...