Odd fish in the UK

Dales

I caught a sturgeon of about 9lb the other day while float fishing at a small local pond for carp on luncheon meat not too keen on catching another one it must be the ugliest fish i've ever caught.

Though it did put up a good scrap.

There seem to be a few waters in essex that have been stocked with these.

I don't suppose that was crow green in Brentwood? ;)

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Stambridge !! many years since i fished there. i wonder how the Sturgeon got in there? its illegal to stock them now and i am pretty sure they weren't in there years ago. They say the ones in Crow Green and left overs from when it was ok to stock them. Maybe thats the same with Stambridge.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I remember a few years ago there were some guppies found living in the Grand Union Canal by the warm Ovaltine factory outflow at Kings Langley near Watford but whether they are still there I don't know; theyve probably perished since then.

I did catch a terrapin on the upper stretches of the river lea once, it took the maggot bait when I was trotting along the bottom and gave a good fight, but there must be thousands of them in our waters these days.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Guest Chris Perch
Stambridge !! many years since i fished there. i wonder how the Sturgeon got in there? its illegal to stock them now and i am pretty sure they weren't in there years ago. They say the ones in Crow Green and left overs from when it was ok to stock them. Maybe thats the same with Stambridge.

I guess they were stocked by the previous owner as they have been in there quite a number of years now.

Pumpkinseed are TOUGH fighters on light tackle, as are all "panfish"/sunfish. They are also delicious.

The weirdest things I ever hooked were a turtle and a Round Gobie. The Gobie ended up as Gull food.