Tow Path & Fishing Improvements...

Del_R

Apart from beyond the Quedgley roundabout, and one or two spots on the industrial estates, I didn't think there was much access to the canal. Can you tell me where are these improvments going on?

You can access the entire canal if you're prepared to walk ;-))

These improvements are taking place on the stretch between Sims Lane and Elmore Lane. There's a small British Waterways carpark at Elmore Lane Bridge which has now been taken over by construction vehicles. Lord knows what they're doing. So far it seems to be mowing the verges and cutting back trees, butby the look of it there's some construction to be done somewhere too.

Del

From what I remember, most of the indusrial units along the Bristol Road are fenced off right up to the canal, with a few exceptions like Madleaze, still things change.

Maybe they're trying to prevent a breach, like when the thing emptied out back in the 80s. Is it fishing well now, after that loss of both water and fish?

Actually, you're right as far as access on the industrial estate bank is concerned, but the tow path bank is available for angling all the way along.

It's never fished particularly well for me. I struggle to catch anything. Mind you, I struggle to catch anything anywhere! There have been some good pike catches, plenty of zander, and reputedly in the summer some excellent bream fishing to be had. So we shall see...

The big plus about it is it's about five hundred yards from where I work so it's easy for a lunchtime or afterwork sess'.

Regards,

Del

I do know that the EA were teaming up with British Waterways to modify an area, somewhere around there, to allow fishing for Gloucester Disabled Angling Club as club waters.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

quote:

Originally posted by Del_R:

the tow path bank is available for angling all the way along.

That's what I thought. I'll post a map in a mo' which may help

DG

Yer 'tis .....

____________ Posted Image

[ 19. March 2004, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a wander down the above mentioned tow-path for the first time in a couple of weeks. The pegs (previously grassy banks with well trodden flat bits) have now each been furnished with small concrete flat areas on which seats will be much more steady. The grass and hedges have all been cut back and each peg has a nice neat number in silver embedded in a concrete square. It all looks very plush. Apparantly they're now doing the same for the next section along the canal as well as improving access along the towpaths.

Regards,

Derek