WF5F mahogany floating lines

Some of you may already know that I was having some dark, mahogany brown floating fly lines made for stalking very easily scared fish in clear water (Derbyshire Wye day ticket water). Well I have tried them out quite extensively now and am happy to offer them for sale at £25 including post and packing in UK. Please enquire for overseas rates. They are WF5F and come in a simple bag to keep cost and waste down. Each line is individually numbered and guaranteed.

greg long:

If you are stalking easily spooked fish why are you using weight forward lines?  The double tapers land much more gently!.

Really? Under what circumstances? The forward end of the tapered profile is the same in both cases. If a very long cast is needed and a double taper line is used it is a devil of a job getting it out of the tip ring and aerialising it and shooting the backing. Possible, but only with a lot of room. The forward tapered line needs less line out of the tip ring for the long casts, takes less effort and allows a more controlled and gentle approach than is possible at the same distance with the equivalent double tapered line. At closer quarters there is no difference between the landings of DT or WF lines of the same AFTM number.

DT lines are best cut in half with the unused half stored away for when the first half is worn out. I used to do this when times were hard but now there is no need to compromise so I had the lines made in standard WF profile. How many do you want?

richard

[ 30 June 2002, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: richardw ]

greg long:

Try covering a wild lough trout in a calm with a weight forward and then tell me!

anglingireland.info    :cool:      :)

g.l.

You may find it helpful if your flyline doesn't cover the fish but lands short of your wildies and you only cover them with a looonnnngggg leader.

Always glad to help :):):)

greg long:

Try covering a wild lough trout in a calm with a weight forward and then tell me!

anglingireland.info    :cool:      :)

I think OP-JB has it about right when he (she?) recommends keeping the fly line away from the trout you are stalking. My preference is to make as little disturbance as possible. If the trout is less than a dozen yards away a DT and WF line of the same AFTM number will make the same disturbance on landing, all other things being equal. If the cast has to be longer then I would recommend that the WF be used in preference to DT. It easier to control when aerialising. You don't need so much line out of the tip ring to get out as you would with the DT for the same distance cast. More pressing still, if fishing with a dry fly, the false casting extends the line out less far so is less likely to cause aerial flash within the fishes sight. I know that the mahogany coloured line reduces the extent of aerial flash very markedly when compared with light colours like olive, moss green, ivory, white and so on. Hence my decision to have some made. I had them made for my own use on very clear limestone spring fed rivers where the fish are extremely wary. They have proved very successful for me. So much so that they have given me the confidence to offer them to other anglers who want to be stealthy in approaching their quarry. I know wild lough trout are also very wary especially if they have ventured into shallows or near the banks. One of the first anglers to buy one of these lines wanted it for lochs on the Shetlands where I am sure he has similarly cautious trout (and sea trout?) to contend with.

Drop me a message if you would like one (or several) of "my" mahogany WF5F lines.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
richardw:

Some of you may already know that I was having some dark, mahogany brown floating fly lines made for stalking very easily scared fish in clear water (Derbyshire Wye day ticket water).  Well I have tried them out quite extensively now and am happy to offer them for sale at £25 including post and packing in UK.  Please enquire for overseas rates.  They are WF5F and come in a simple bag to keep cost and waste down.  Each line is individually numbered and guaranteed.

Just a few left now. Does anyone else want any? Should I get some more made in different weights?

richard