Mr Plumb

Rusty

i fell for temptation and brought this for less than £100

92e9_12.JPG

I don't think i'll ever be able too afford those witchers or the likes ,not sure i'd want too ,the reels are excellent but i'd probably just drop them or break them somehow as i'd have too use them .I'm happy with my alternatives ,I only need two more reels for a full set . one 1920's ventilated aerial and a green centrepin ( ? ) as i've a few coloured ones now ,red ,black,brown ,silver (alloy) had a blue one so just green too go i guess !

i seem too have a weired collection i guess now ,wasn't intended too be a collection its just grew that way ,as i've now got different reels for different situations .just two more then i'll stop buying them

two 3½ " reels for the small rivers i fish (a 1960's aerial & 1920's hodder)

two speedia's for the slightly bigger rivers (one narrow one wide)

for barbel fishing i have a okuma kennet & now my new 4" aerial popular

float fishing i have my AN pin & big red one (fred crouch)

i would like the 1920's ventilated aerial and possibly a jw heritage possibly as my main stillwater reels

i do seem though too be more and more drawn too aerials these days ,or maybe i'm just bonkers

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Guest tigger
just two more then i'll stop buying them

:nonono::lol:

would like the 1920's ventilated aerial and possibly a jw heritage possibly as my main stillwater reels

I have the Heritage and it's so smooth i think it's more suited to trotting than stillwater. Obviously you can still use it for stillwater fishing if you like. It really is quite a lovely reel and well worth having.

What about the origional Allcocks Aerial............it only went for £500 nicker. Doesn't make sense when a replica goes for more than an origional.

Of course it makes sense. The Witcher reel is more valuable.

Its higher worth is based on it being much scarcer than the Allcocks, of superior quality in materials and craftsmanship, and the fact that it will most likely appreciate in value far more steeply than the 1920 model its design was based on. How does that not make sense?

Edited by MikeT

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Guest tigger
Of course it makes sense. The Witcher reel is more valuable.

Its higher worth is based on it being much scarcer than the Allcocks, of superior quality in materials and craftsmanship, and the fact that it will most likely appreciate in value far more steeply than the 1920 model its design was based on. How does that not make sense?

But it's still a replica so it's value lies purely in the makers name and it's scarcity. Regarding the quality........well the original is still going strong and at least it doesn't need to have someone try to forge a distressed patina. At the end of the day no one copies a copy, you only copy an original. Now that not make sense ?

I had an inkling that the replica would fetch more than the original although I don’t think that it was entirely down to the fact that it’s probably a superior reel in terms of craftsmanship and materials.

The Witcher reels are an entirely different product and brand. It’s difficult to explain but when I was thinking about how the two would compare directly it seemed an invalid comparison. One’s made by Paul Witcher and one isn’t, the latter falls into the desirable old reel market and the other falls into the Witcher market. It wouldn’t surprise me if someone did manufacture a Witcher replica.

I haven’t put that very well I know but I’m trying to convey that the intangible qualities of branding can have a huge impact on value, even when comparing originals and replicas.

Now if Fred Crouch would get his finger out and create a similar market for his replicas I’ll take a couple of hundred and wave bye bye to the recession.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

i fell for temptation and brought this for less than £100

92e9_12.JPG

I don't think i'll ever be able too afford those witchers or the likes ,not sure i'd want too ,the reels are excellent but i'd probably just drop them or break them somehow as i'd have too use them .I'm happy with my alternatives ,I only need two more reels for a full set . one 1920's ventilated aerial and a green centrepin ( ? ) as i've a few coloured ones now ,red ,black,brown ,silver (alloy) had a blue one so just green too go i guess !

i seem too have a weired collection i guess now ,wasn't intended too be a collection its just grew that way ,as i've now got different reels for different situations .just two more then i'll stop buying them

two 3½ " reels for the small rivers i fish (a 1960's aerial & 1920's hodder)

two speedia's for the slightly bigger rivers (one narrow one wide)

for barbel fishing i have a okuma kennet & now my new 4" aerial popular

float fishing i have my AN pin & big red one (fred crouch)

i would like the 1920's ventilated aerial and possibly a jw heritage possibly as my main stillwater reels

i do seem though too be more and more drawn too aerials these days ,or maybe i'm just bonkers

Now that is an excellent buy, don't know how I missed it.

But it's still a replica so it's value lies purely in the makers name and it's scarcity. Regarding the quality........well the original is still going strong and at least it doesn't need to have someone try to forge a distressed patina. At the end of the day no one copies a copy, you only copy an original. Now that not make sense ?

Don't tempt providence, we could be paying more for our replicas. Any further news from Chris yet.

Don't tempt providence, we could be paying more for our replicas. Any further news from Chris yet.

Easy i diverted attention onto the uk 1920's reel and dazzled everyone with the big red one ,while secretly watching the popular in a quiet corner of e-bay <_<:rolleyes:

theres another one of the aerial popular's well two in fact ,ones is a really good condition popular and the other is well shall we say less so tatty popular and needs some tlc

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Easy i diverted attention onto the uk 1920's reel and dazzled everyone with the big red one ,while secretly watching the popular in a quiet corner of e-bay <_<:rolleyes:

theres another one of the aerial popular's well two in fact ,ones is a really good condition popular and the other is well shall we say less so tatty popular and needs some tlc

Yes, I have been doing the Allcocks search. Recently aquired an early Fred Crouch complete with original box but it cost me. I missed a Browning revolver a couple of years ago which went for just over £200. Would have been a good buy.

post-8110-1242221299_thumb.jpgpost-8110-1242221275_thumb.jpgpost-8110-1242221314_thumb.jpg

Guest tigger

I did actually bid on the Witcher up to very near the going price then stopped myself from being totally daft!!

Last time I spoke to Chris he said it would be the back end of this summer so not to long now TT :thumbs:

Look forward to seeing you at Wingham again bud :)