To buy or not to buy.....

Janet

Well, I guess that's a bit of an academic question really, as I've already been and gone and bought the darned thing!

With the camera, batteries, books and magazines I've bought recently, I really have stretched my budget far more than I should have, but I think I may have bagged myself a bargain today.

I was browsing through a local charity shop at lunchtime looking for more photography books when I came across something rather interesting lurking on the floor behind a box ful of cuddly toys - a camera tripod!

Fully extended, it stands at just above waist height. There's a handle to turn the centre pole thingie up and down and the legs can be fixed individually at any position between closed and fully extended, The top of it can be adjusted to any angle, (tilted forwards, backwards, sideways etc) and then fixed in position. Everything seems to be working OK!

The top of it, where the camera is secured, has a hard rubber or plastic ridged pad, which was held on with yellowing sellotape, but I've removed that, cleaned it up and superglued it back into position. The one thing I never thought to check is if the thread on the tripod matched the thread on the camera, but I heaved a sigh of relief when I got home and found that it fitted!

The manufacturer's name and model number on it is "europa-foto EFM-3". It was a bit dusty, but an attack with Mr Sheen has it looking like new.

So, I think I've bagged myself a bargain! Not quite sure when and where I'll actually use it, but it seemed like a good purchase....

Janet

I have one, like Judy mine lives in the boot.

When i first used it with lots of people around i felt a real idiot, but after that first time i just ignored people around me and concentrated on taking photos.

i have been advised to get a monopod as well because its easier to carry if you have to leave the car and walk a few hundred yards. i''m still thinking about that.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

I never carry my tripod, but sometimes wish I had it with me. That said my monopod (which I also never carry) would do the job 95% of the time. I always used to use a monopod when photographing racing cars but that was generally with big lenses and relatively slower speeds.

A monopod would do the same thing for me i.e. give me the extra stability required in windy conditions. For a tripod to do the same, I'd need a bigger and heavier one which isn't really practical to cart around on long and hilly walks. I will try and dig out my monopod and start carrying it with me when I'm off walking with the camera, it'll easily fix on the side of my rucksack. Mind you I think I last spotted it on the garage floor under a ton of dust and cobwebs :unsure:

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

Good on ya Janet. So, we'll be looking for some long exposure shots coming from you in the near future there? I've got three tripods now. One I got as a guift when I first got in to photography. Then I bought something a little better but now I've got a you beaut Manfroto. Sturdy as and stands about as tall as I do.

Mick.

rb_getcreative.gif

Once I get to grips with all the settings on this camera, I'll certainly be looking at some long exposures. I particularly like shots of moving water done in this way, but I think that's a bit advanced for me at the moment!

I may be able to have a go this weekend, as I'm house-sitting for a friend who likes on the Ribble estuary and they get some lovely sunsets.

Janet

I have two tripods and a mono pod. The first one I ever bought is very much on a parr with the one you have Janet, great for compacts and modern light DSLR's with a standard lens. These days one has a Manfroto 55, support the world! it will, but heavy . . . !!! I also have a Manfroto Mono pod, great general purpose mobile compromise, but for long exposures it has to be the full Tripod. Looked at the carbon fiber tripods, expensive and not as light as one would think, its the head, thats still heavy.

Pity some one does not make a 'walking/hiking stick', carbon fiber mono pod, that would be perfec, no heavy head required? Unless some one knows different?

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior