Photo comp

Clifftop

Having just been reading some of the threads relating to the comp and noting the lack of replies from any of the mods i will take this opportunity to have my say.

The comp in its present form, IMO, is spot on especially the way the voting is.

What needs to be done again IMO is that the comp needs be reinstated onto these boards, after all it's fine for those of us who actually enter the comp

to go and log on to another forum to enter our photographs but its a bit unfair to ask the other members on these forums to register and log on to the comp site just to vote and have a look at what we do.

The original idea i think was for all members to enjoy the photography section without having to go somewhere else to do it.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

I'd have to agree Pa. As Janet has mentioned in another thread, there seems to be a real lack of direction here in the photo section right now. I know Steve is a busy guy so maybe we could have someone else added to the Mod team to help Steve out. Someone who is right in to their photography like Sutton Warrior or Snather (just to name a couple). This section of the forum need some house keeping. We need updates when a comp is on, when the voting is on, when the voting is about to close etc etc etc. I realise its quite a time consuming task so promoting someone else to give Steve a hand seem logical to me.

Mick.

rb_getcreative.gif

The mods are aware that we have a problem with the forum at the moment, particularly with the competition, so hopefully some action will be taken in the next few days. In the meantime we just have to be patient!

Speaking for myself, I love the way the competition is set up - it's so easy to post and view pictures and comment on others, rather than wading through a long thread which can take ages to load, particularly on a slow computer

I have it bookmarked so I'm on the home page with just one click of the mouse and I can view all the entries without having to log in. The only problem appears to be when it comes to the actual voting, which requires users to register with the site. I'm sure most of the regulars on the photography forum have registered, but I can see it may be a bit offputting for casual users and we may perhaps be missing out on votes because of this.

Mick, I think having one or two extra mods is an excellent idea, as it really must be a time-consuming job for one person to do on their own.

Provided we're informed as to what's happening, any of us ordinary members could volunteer to keep everyone informed about when the voting is open, closed, about to close etc, as we've done this month, which could possibly take some of the pressure off Steve. An idea to think about?

Perhaps we should all kick around a few ideas to help give the forum a bit of a boost and get it back to where it was when Mr Wiggly was around to keep us all motivated?

Apologies if I'm being a bit presumptuous as a newcomer to the photography section, but I've been on the outside looking in for a couple of years now, and it's sad to see it slowly losing direction.

Janet

these are comments that were voiced before,I posted a link on the non fishing chat yesterday,but as said people have to log in to vote,as Janet said the mods are aware but I think counting the voting is perhaps just down to Steve as each vote has a score depending on the rating. having some help was talked of before as well.

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

There's certainly still plenty of interest - I've just done a quick count, and if I've done it correctly then so far there have been 960 views of the 28 entries...

I think Judy posting it on the Non-Fishing forum has encouraged a few more members to at least take a look.

Janet

Phew ...shattered have been busy on the other forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys and Gals

you all love to talk about the lovely fish you catch and the places you fish,I'm sure lots of you take pictures,why not post them so we can all see what you have caught and what the place was like.The place to post is the Photography Forum

See some of the latest competion pictures here there are very few fishy pictures ....come on dive in have a look you can even vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps we could have a new comp fish of the month

forgive the intrusion

judy

nurse.gif

me thinks that was a waste of time ...perhaps these anglers dare not photo their catches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nurse.gif

me thinks that was a waste of time ...perhaps these anglers dare not photo their catches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just loaded a piccy of one of the fishing lakes that I have fished, I havent had time to find out how to vote yet but when I get time I will if I can.

A lot of my fish photos are not really worthy enough for consideration although I have a few nice shots of venues that I have fished. I will have to start arranging my fish piccies a bit better and then possibly upload a couple.

I don't have an expensive camera just a compact 'Canon IXUS 70' plus a 'Fuji FinePix' digital but they are ok for normal Fishing snapshots, so don't expect too much :camera: .

Keith (BoldBear)

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I have just loaded a piccy of one of the fishing lakes that I have fished, I havent had time to find out how to vote yet but when I get time I will if I can.

A lot of my fish photos are not really worthy enough for consideration although I have a few nice shots of venues that I have fished. I will have to start arranging my fish piccies a bit better and then possibly upload a couple.

I don't have an expensive camera just a compact 'Canon IXUS 70' plus a 'Fuji FinePix' digital but they are ok for normal Fishing snapshots, so don't expect too much :camera: .

Keith (BoldBear)

Keith, dont you worry about the camera, Janets winning picture this month was taken with a modest Sam-sung compact, top result. I have often used a Canon Compact to good effect and a number of regular posters use compacts. The main fact for the comp., the picture must be current, taken in the month of the competition. But pictures of interest posted on threads can be any age.

SW

• 3 weeks later...
Keith, dont you worry about the camera, Janets winning picture this month was taken with a modest Sam-sung compact, top result. I have often used a Canon Compact to good effect and a number of regular posters use compacts. The main fact for the comp., the picture must be current, taken in the month of the competition. But pictures of interest posted on threads can be any age.

SW

Ooops! sorry I have just removed my entry as It wasn't taken this month, it was taken in September so shouldn't be entered in this months competition. Sorry for that silly mistake.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)