barbel in the north

mikeclough

The beck which flows into Rickerby park, Brunstock Beck, did indeed have fantastic dace fishing despite its size, especially when Eden was in spate. This beck was considered by many to be a major dace spawning tributary of the Eden. Whether or not that was actually true I don't know. Sadly the dace are now pretty much gone from Brunstock Beck and the entire Eden system. I caught my last dace in Rickerby Park in 1997. The chub are in serious demise as well. You can catch plenty of big ones but the chublets are few and far between.

The Environment Agency has been doing quite a bit of investigation into the decreasing coarse fish numbers in the Eden system but I haven't seen any data published yet. My theory: its the fish-eating ducks (goosanders etc) and cormorants that have wiped them out.

Strangely, Bassenthwaite Lake in the Lake District, has unbelievable dace fishing (roach too) as a result of pike angler's released livebaits.

An ex member of the CSG who used to fish the Eden before moving 'off shore' found it very difficult to catch chub UNDER 4lbs, which says an awful lot about recruitment on the river

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

Cowthorpe and Thornton bridge both hold some marvellous Barbel and some truly specimen chub.

Nun Monkton and it;s animal peg is probably the best around the area . . and maunby and it's associated stretches have some ideal barbel too.

If you are interested in details - sorry year book only . . then drop me a line .. If I advertise again I will probably get shot :o )

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

wearyone...noted, I will ask nigel about his short trousers in due course :D

it must be a bugger with the nettles.

Great to see you on here anyway.

Yours with respect

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Phil,

John has me on that one. I think I might have been an embryo when John first fished for barbel on the Wear. He has a good few years on me having learnt his trade with I Walton :)