Dyeing bait

Socksy Squirrel

• 2 years later...
Hi there,

i am looking into dyeing squid strips for sea fishing, I was thinking of red or black initially.

Have any of you dyed dead baits for pike fishing etc and what did you use?

hi having tried most colours i find red or yellow good you can buy these sprays from good tackle shops. Spay these on then leave for five mins a good bait to dye is herrings.....stubbo

Food colouring works perfectly well.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• 3 years later...

Socksy,

How deep will you fish? Red light wavelength's, being the shortest, are being compromised at 1 meter. Yellow is a 50/50 mix of red and green, it becomes solid green by 3 - 4 meters and blue, the longest wavelength of visible light by 15 - 20 meters. (that's why the ocean is blue) Not sure if pike see color anyway, carp don't. Certainly pike see and detect motion don't they? Motion is detected only ( - well, best) in shades of gray by the rods in the retina. Black is the absense of all color and white is the mix of all color. Black would show "edge" i.e. the outline of the object better than any "colors". Color is an abstract WORD used by humans in an air environment. Color, if it is even detected, changes at the rate of infinity by absorbtion to the absense of all light. So, what is "yellow" at one meter is not "yellow" at 1.5 meters.

I suspect pike, like many fishes, see well into the UV spectrum of light. We, at least I, don't know all, or any, of the ramifications of UV light for angling. That's why there are so many choices. Choices in both "edge" and "color".

Phone

Edit: Dam dam, that little gizzmo below the "post reply" button called "similar threads" caught me again. I now realize I replied to a "dead" thread from 2007. I believe the word is "stupid".

Edited by Phone