Repairing Bindings On Old Rods

Del_R

This may be a silly question but then why change the habits of a lifetime...

Some of the bindings on my old rods (early 60's Sealey's) now need replacing. Can I just use normal cotton and normal clear varnish or should I be using something more job specific? I'd like to get hold of the same colouring of thread, too, as 80% of the bindings are still fine and it'll be nice if they match. The original thread is that nice yellow with flecks of black in it. Reckon I'll be able to get a close match from a sewing shop or will I need to be looking at some stuff designed for rods?

Cheers,

Derek

You cant use cotton thread it goes funny when dope or varnish is applied.

I also doubt that you will be able to just replace a few whippings without destroying the cosmetic look of the rod.

It would be almost impossible to match the existing thread.

The old whippings will have faded.

Any uneveness in the old varnish will show through the new whippings.

I would suggest that the full rod be refurbished.

Whipping thread is sold by most good tackle shops do not buy the thickest but the finest thread, takes longer to do but gives a superiour finish.

The whippings then need to be sealed filled and varnished or use a two part epoxy finish to do the job.

Cheers, grumpy. That sounds a little more involved than I'd thought so I'm glad I posted the question. I know just the shop in town to try. I'll probably just replace the dodgy whippings for now - I want to use the rod rather than look at it - but depending on how it goes I might attempt the whole thing.

Thanks,

Derek

Is it a bright yellow and black whipping, or an orange/yellow and black? I have some of the latter kicking around somewhere. Might even be able to get what you want from one of my local shops.

Whipping is dead easy, and fun!! Take your time, close the threads up with the back of your thumb nail. You ought to be able to seal the thread with PVA wood glue, a couple of coats should do. You can use high-build epoxy but it is expensive and would be odd to your existing whippings. Two or three coats of clear varnish should do the job.

The rod that needs urgent attention i.e. the whipping has come away totally on one of the rings, is a plain dark red whipping. I bought half a reel of red whipping from my local old-timey fishing shop. I'm not sure how close the match will be once it's been varnished. As grumpy aluded to, the only way to get a total cosmetic match will be to do the whole thing - which I might do one day, as some of the actual rings could do with being replaced. Still, the plan is to get the rod into working order to save my buying another!(*) When I told the shop-keeper who'd sold me the whipping this he became the first person in my life who's actually used the phrase "hoisted by my own petard" in actual conversation!

The second rod has that lovely yellow and black whipping (not orange and black). I think when I come to do that one I shall definitely be on the look out for that colouring (the rod, except for the top piece) is black.

Still, one step at a time...

(*) Not tight, just broke. And I like old stuff anyway.

Kind regards,

Derek

Used it for years and never had a prob Grumpybum. If you buy the Seymo twin pack, with high build and sealer, you will be the proud owner of a little bottle of PVA glue at a high price!! Rub it well into the whipping, don't build it up, then seal the sealer with hi-build, or varnish! Honestly, I've never had a problem. I've tried all sorts and that seems to work best.