ceramics collectors advice needed

chesters1

can anyone give a clue to the maker of this pot ,it has a vague torquey look but isnt the right material ,on the bottom it says "made in england" which is little help :(

pot.jpg

[ 05. July 2005, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chesters did you know that Wedgwood put Napoleons face in the bottom of his china bedpans during the Napoleonic wars? Sorry just a bit of trivia.. :D

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

hopefully it wasent empty when he turned it over to check :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

what is the statistics on a chesters1 post allowing you to use it

To add a more serious note to Chesters question :)

It's definitely not Torquayware the colouring is all wrong and the base would be a deep red due to the clay used.

From the style I would say its 1930s, Clarice Cliff style of trees etc but of course not by CC, if only!!!

Without any other backstamp very hard to say who it's by. There are one or two makers doing modern copies of the CC style, notably Morlands and Lorna Bailey but again they would have a full backstamp.

Sorry can't help any more

Classic Fishing Books www.classicfishingbooks.co.uk 100s of fishing books for sale/wanted + reviews

Wingham Fisheries www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm Gravel pit syndicates in Kent. 2008 Forum Fish-In Sat May 17 to Mon May 19. For what happened in 2007 see http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=75031

Paperweights Plus www.paperweightsplus.com Off the shelf and customised paperweights

yes i agree about the difference to torquay (thanks for the spelling hint) the mrs also bought some modern spotted suzi (sp?) cooper stuff from the same lady (ugly ,no trees) i have seen the identical trees in a book but for the life of me cannot find it,clarices stuff is a bit more bright ,i also got a very nice pot by someone called agneta hickley from rimpton (modern 1994) beutifully hand painted but unknown ,a bit of masons and spode and a stunning bit of crown staffordshire all for pennies from an old lady ,if we wern't out of cash we would have bought the lot she had a table full (story of our life) :rolleyes:

Jeff S:

Chesters did you know that Wedgwood put Napoleons face in the bottom of his china bedpans during the Napoleonic wars?  Sorry just a bit of trivia..   :D  

Got any references for this one, Jeff? I'd always heard this in connection with the Kaiser's face being printed at the bottom of chamberpots (1st World War).

The chamber pot under the bed was an indispensable feature of homes in colder climates because it removes the need for a freezing nocturnal trip to the outdoor privy. Chamber pots became very elaborate and often had likenesses of enemies of the owner at the bottom. In England, some carried a portrait of Napoleon in the target area. Others came with poetry: "Use me well and keep me clean/And I’ll not tell what I have seen."

Also here

I've had various hits off of google but not many pictures and some references to Wedgwood/chamberpots/Napoleon. I took an English history course last term -- the only reason why I would know any of this

Chesters- Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...