fishing and canoeing

andy_youngs

I've always been a keen fisherman.

Ever since I caught a 3lb bream on the River Waveney with my Dad at the age of 4 years old. At the time I got so excited that I vomited over both Dad and fish. But that was then and this is now.

I'm 42 years old now.

I learned to fish on the river waveney, and over the years it's produced many great fish for me. Chub to 6lb, tench to 6lb, bream to 7lb, roach to 3lb, perch to 3lb, and pike to 22lb. I'm a member of the Fleece Angling Club in Bungay, and intend to remain a fully paid up member for many years to come. As far as I'm concerned, any other affiliations can go and get stuffed ...

3 years ago I decided to canoe the waveney, in an attemp to understand it's ecology.

I put in at Diss (source of the waveney) and paddled back to Bungay (half way point). Very nice it was too.

The following year, I put in at Bungay and paddled down to Great Yarmouth. That was very nice also.

The year after that I decided to explore the Upper Wensum from Raynham to Lyng, mindblowing river. One or two local landowners objected to me passing by, but I just said sorry and moved on. No great harm done I think.

This year I tried to canoe the Lower Wensum from Lyng to Norwich, and for the first time I was stopped in my tracks.

I'd chosen to canoe the river during the closed fishing season, so as not to upset the barbel fishermen. But it didn't cut any ice with them.

I was challenged at Costessey by 6 men dressed in khaki who looked like they were about to charge into the river and physically prevent me from paddling downstream. All members of the NACA.

It was like being accosted by hunt sabatours.

"You can't canoe down this piece of land" they insisted "the barbel are spawning. "this is an SSSI and you're disturbing their habitat"

"But it's the closed fishing season" I reasoned "that's why I chose to canoe down the river at this time of year"

The main protagonist glared at me, menacingly.

It was tough decision, but I decided to pause the expedition in Costessey pending peace talks with locals. Most down the Bush Public House in Costessey were absolutely outraged that the NACA is behaving in this way .... some of them even offered to accompany me down the river in a rowing boat on the next leg of the expedition.

But that's not really the point.

The point is, that if anyone want's to come fishing or canoeing on the Waveney, especially through Bungay, then you would be most welcome .... we've got big chub, roach, tench, bream, perch, pike and carp. If you come to visit, and talk to me nicely, I might even show you how to catch them. But please bear in mind that fascists will not be welcome.

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy, like you I canoe and fish. But I do accept that they are poor bed fellows. There always has been a history of boating up as far as Bungay so I do accept that. I have to say it, NACA is probably right in its stance.

Andy,

I'm also a keen fisherman and have done a bit of canoeing and I take the view that you should really only canoe the river out of season - which makes NACA stance wrong, there is no way a canoe moving slowly over the water will upset any spawning and you are not affecting anyone’s swim as it is out of season.

I canoed the mole over the weekend from Betchworth to Cobham, really does show you a different side to the river and also some very special fishing spots if only they were accessible!

Andy, like you I canoe and fish. But I do accept that they are poor bed fellows. There always has been a history of boating up as far as Bungay so I do accept that. I have to say it, NACA is probably right in its stance.

Pete, they are poor bedfellows for no other reason than fanatical barbel fishermen have infilltrated their way into the NACA and are imposing their will onto taxpaying citizens who are trying to enjoy the River Wensum.

I've just written to the landowner involved in this particular dispute, and am awaiting a reply. In fairness to him, I think he should be given a week or so to reply before I get involved further. But I tell you my friend, people in Bungay (and Costessey) are very unhappy about this.

NACA, who are a publicly funded body, are behaving like a bunch of thugs.

At Costessey they've erected para-military type signs of soldier's, like on a target range.... and we, as taxpayers (who are funding NACA) are supposed to put up with this bullshit?

Get a reality check Peter. This present situation is absolutely outrageous. I suggest that things are about to change on the Wensum ...

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Let me get this straight ....

Canoeing down a river is supposed to upset the barbels' spawning? Are they serious? This is *much* less of a disturbance to the barbel than a lengthy summer downpour raising the river by a foot. And I mean **much** less. A few gentle paddles and you're gone.

These people are taking the mick, surely, or there's some other agenda afoot.

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.