tench

King Paddy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make a mental note to go out for a session or eight next June/early July then MrMatthew, they're three fantastic fish!

I think Tench fishing is generally underated. If some of the specimen carp anglers were to take their minds off carp for just a minute and target some Tench, maybe they'll realise just how good a fish they are to catch. Pound for pound, Tench beat carp hands down in my opinion. Having never caught a barbel yet, I couldn't compare Tench to all fish, of course

Afterall, Tench are otherwise known as 'Doctor Fish' for their inadvertant treatment of other parasite-ridden and sick fish, and they are truely lovely to look at, IMO.

I think Summer tench fishing is my absolute favourite fishing scenario. I much prefer them to carp. I think the 'doctor fish' story is just folklore, though, Darren, as is the related story that pike won't eat them. Not that any of the pikers here is such a cad as to use a tench for bait, of course :)

[ 19. October 2005, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Steve Walker ]

I can confirm it's not folklore! I work on occasion with my father installing and maintaining ponds (big and small) and feel on good grounds to stick by it.

I've been told of situations of simply by stocking a few tench has rid fish of their problems, by people who work in the business of looking after fish of serious value. It's in the mucus, apparently. I've also seen evidence of other fishing rubbing themselves against other tench to pick up the mucus too, so I think there's more to it than folklore, but each to their own and all that

I've also read/been told of circumstances where Pike have taken tench, but I have no personal evidence to support it.

So, having disagreed on virtually everything you'd said, Steve, I absolutely agree on the Tench fishing scenario being my favourite too!

[ 19. October 2005, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Loudyboy ]

Not sure about all this doctor fish stuff, but I can confirm that barbel fight harder than tench!!

Oh and pike do eat tench, just ask Nigel Williams hehehe

[ 19. October 2005, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: darrreng ]

Loudyboy

I agree tench are brilliant to fish for in the summer, the problem is locating suitable waters that hold sufficient numbers to justify targeting them. I fished the gravel pits at South Cerney Gloucestershire, they have large numbers of tench in these lakes , although numbers have decreased over the years.

Did you know you can catch tench from 'gin' clear gravel pits on the brightest/hottest of summer days.

I'm afraid Steve is right the tench being a 'doctor' fish is only folklore, but I am sure their are worse things you could believe in.

I'm lucky there's a pond (of a set of 5) which is predominantly stocked with Tench, along with a few big bream (and, of course, the complementary silverfish and the odd grass carp for blanket weed!). Supposed to be Tench upto 8lb, but I've yet to get anyting over 6lb, and I'm starting to recognise fish now too

LOL@Rabbit RE: folklore. I guess this must be one seriously popular myth to believe in, if Tench are being stocked in ponds and small lakes exclusively for their alleged medical qualities.