Another boating/fishing question!

fruitloopy

This seems to be a hot topic at the moment so I thought I would ask a few questions on the subject as well.

At the end of this month I will be on a cruiser mucking about on the Norfolk Broads with my parents who are also keen anglers.

I have never fished from a boat and the general consensus is that boats are usually a pain in the ass when fishing from the bank. However, I obviously want to get some fishing done and was looking for some helpful advice.

I promise to be as careful and considerate to any anglers I pass by!

What is the best way to fish from a boat, what are the legal or polite ways of fishing from a boat, I.E. If I spot a fantastic holding spot for Chub can I just "Park" up near it and fish? Sorry, I am not familiar with nautical terms! If I am anchored up in the river then am I legally allowed to fish? Obviously I would do this without poaching any swims or causing a nuisance.

What should/could I fish for? Pike, Zander, or would I be able to do general coarse fishing for bream, perch, chub, etc?

Has anyone done this before and can they recommend good spots, nice places to visit, good pubs to stop off at?

Much appreciated guys.

C'mon people...someone here must have fished from a boat before.

Any advice??

Some of us do, on an almost daily basis during the season.

Most hire cruisers are notoriously unsuited to fishing from so most folk moor to the bank and then fish from the bank.

Where can you moor to fish? Practically anywhere unless it says that you can't or is obviously someone's garden.

Good spots for chub? River Waveney above Beccles.

Good spot for zander, there aren't any!

Good spots for pike? The locals reserve them for their exclusive use!

To fish the Broads seriously you really need an open boat/rowing boat. But that is not to say that you can't have great breaming from the bank, such as at St Bennets on The Thurne or Beauchamp Armes on the Yare, but both attract match angling so you might find the better swims occupied.

On the subject of boat fishing what do you experienced boaters make of these?: http://www.porta-bote.com/

Not a lot! I watched one out on the water the other day, I was amazed at the wash created by it. However, if I had little storage, wanted something to squeeze into the garage, then yes, I would be very tempted. Certainly a better boat for anglers than an inflatable. But purely as a boat, not hugely impressed.

Not a lot! I watched one out on the water the other day, I was amazed at the wash created by it. However, if I had little storage, wanted something to squeeze into the garage, then yes, I would be very tempted. Certainly a better boat for anglers than an inflatable. But purely as a boat, not hugely impressed.

All boats have there good and bad points and it depends on what you want to use them for/type of waters ,The above are not suited to big waters but are great on rivers and drains.

They have nothing like the room of bigger aluminium boats but they are comfortable enough to fish in all day if you have the clamp on swivel seats ,My mate has a semi flat ally boat which we use sometimes and has far more useable room and obviously a bit more comfort than the portabote but we use mine when fishing a lake that has no slipway so horses for courses.

No trailor to nick and great storage plus you can allways launch them if you can get near enough to the water which cannot be said for bigger trailored boats due to parking space at the slipways and the diddys just love unattended boat trailors ,against this there is not as much room in the boat and they can make a bit of wash 2 up with lots of gear but so do a lot of rowing boats.

Have had all sorts of boats over the years including ally ones and dell quay dorys all have there good points but for me due to lack of storage space the Portabote wins,Got 2 one as a tender for our narrowboat and a 12` one for fishing and love them.

There is a boat show this weekend at child beale park on the thames at pangbourne with a few boats you can go and try including Portabote for anyone interested http://www.bealeparkboatshow.co.uk/ Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: