night fishing

moonlight angler

Although it's been a while since I fished (to be remedied in less than a week!!!!), here are my experiences...

I might be stating the obvious, but unless you're brave don't go on your own. I tried it once on a local canal and even though there was a main road running parallel to it, it's amazing what tricks the mind plays at night! You won't be able to talk much, but it'll definitely help you.

A head torch is a great idea. I always used to have one and found it to be of great benefit.

Wrapping up warm is essential. I remember the one and only time I didn't and sitting there with my teeth chattering was not a pleasant experience. A hat and a warm coat will help. A hot flask is always welcome, even if for just a caffiene boost in the morning!

Keeping everything to hand is essential. I used to keep a discorger behind my ear (which I always did in the day time anyhow) and forceps clipped to my jacket. I had an old combat jacket that had a lot of pockets, which was useful for keeping things in.

I remember one night feeling something crawling over my feet and seeing a rat walking over my boots. I don't know which of us jumped the furthest me or the rat, probably me! So be prepared to see things you might not see in the day.

There is definitely nothing like that hour or so as night ends and dawn begins. Janet sums it up excellently. I've very fond memories of my float dipping and hooking into a tench.

Oh and, not knowing your age, don't do what I did once as a teenager when my dad said I couldn't stay out all night but could go early in the morning. Which was to sneak out at about 1am in defiance of his orders. Boy did I get a telling off when I got home!

Rob

http://www.anglingwiki.com

Angling Wiki - the free online fishing encyclopaedia!

It might be the most exciting form of night fishing known to man, surface lure fishing for pike on a still, moonlit night!

Despite what some folk think you can smell a shoal of bream, well, when the evening/night is calm you can! Find one, and sooner or later the pike will too. Drift around the shoal, casting a surface lure, and have some fun! A good moon will help, your lures then being in silhouette, heart stopping stuff.