Alans first wrasse bash

Snatcher

About a month ago we had a new couple buy a van on the Clashwhannon site. After a bit craic with Alan in the Clash it unfolded that he fancied trying his hand at "this fishing lark".

A few of us on the site sorted him out with gear and took him to a few spots. After he had caught his first few pollack and mackies he was well "hooked".

Yesterday it was down to me to take him on his first "wrasse bash". I had dug a few lug on a Luce Bay beach and knocked off a few limpet for our session. A couple of more mates joined us for this session so I drove us over to our mark. I had forgotten what a yomp it was to the mark and the climb down verged into the "uncomfortable zone" for me - soft Geordie so and so !

I set up Alan on a sliding float set at about 15' with lug on and I had a similar set up. My other two marras decided to have a go at spinning for pollack. To be fair I had taken mackerel and pollack at this mark a few days earlier so I fancied their chances.

1-120.jpg

God must have been smiling down on us as Alan got the first bite and duly reeled in his first small wrasse.

2-98.jpg

The hook came out easily and he was well chuffed to see it swim away safely - nice one Alan. It was my turn next with a nicely coloured wrasse.

3-83.jpg

A quick photo and back it went. I was next in again with a better wrasse this time,on light gear they do give a good account of themselves.

5-68.jpg

I was a bit concerned when I put it back as it went "belly up" for about 5/6 seconds before it flipped over and sped away back to the bottom.

My other two mates had a few small pollack on the lures but that was all.

4-71.jpg

Alan and myself managed to miss a few good bites and also had the hooks pull out during the fight on a couple of fish,oh well it happens to us all.

The main thing was mission had been accomplished and Alan had caught a wrasse. The day was a scorcher and after only about two hours at the mark we all developed "cold beer in the fridge syndrome" !!! Tell you what after that tricky climb back up the cliff then the long yomp back to the car that first cold beer did not touch the sides.

Snatcher signing off from Mariners Cafe,Drummore.

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy