Ireland 2004

WAJ

I'm trying to arrange a weeks fishing to Ireland for a group of anglers from the North, and I am looking for ideas. In the past few years we have fished the Inniscarra system, stopping at Macroom. Also we have fished in the area of Cavan. Should we stick to one of these areas or can you suggest other areas of Southern Ireland.

Cheers WAJ

<'<

Hi WAJ Just spotted your first post you must have been a bit disapointed with the lack of response.

I have been fishing in Southern Ireland 3 times and everytime have gone to Carrick on Shannon....the mighty River Shannon is a mecca for big roach and bream and of course there are the Loughs some of the are massive along with the countless smaller lakes as well. Have good memories of my trips there.

It takes longer for the river to get to the sea than it does for a man to make an error.

I've only been the once to Ireland, last April in fact, so you'll have more ideas than me I expect. We went to the Portumna area and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Trout fishing was poor on Loch Derg with the Coarse fishing a lot better, I managed to catch around the ton mark of Bream and hybrids although I had to borrow a keepnet for the day. Not really my scene this mega pre-baiting and big weights lark. The hospitality was fantastic though so we're off back again this May.

Paul

Im sure the bream are migratory on the shannon system. We went last october to lough derg, stayed in terryglass-not 15 mins by boat to portumna(20 in van). Wet windy, 1 roach all week from the shannon 1hour by car up river.

Lough Derg is such a beutiful setting breathtaking! Its a very moody place and can change in a second.

The Anglersworld competition was just below the portumna bridge before the lough. Non of those caught much...just bits all week too. We were talking to this bloke in the competition and he reckoned that its been that bad over the last few years they are thinking of moving to a different venue.

From what ive heard your better stickin it out up north.

WAJ

I was going to go this year during the UK Closed Season but work's got in the way.

You don't say when you're going, but what I would say is to try to pick a time when the rivers aren't in flood, or not likely to be .. the Emerald Isle gets a lotta rain!

The power-stations' hot-water outflows on the Shannon at Lanesborough and Shannonbridge usually deliver .. but take a shoe-horn to find a swim

DG

[ 16. January 2004, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]