Split cane rods

chevin

I work in a fishing tackle shop on Saturdays, I enjoy doing it and it's a few extra bucks in my pocket - I meet a few interesting people too. I was talking to a guy today and split cane rods were mentioned and he told me that he has a load of them. While I didn't think that they would amount to much I asked about them and he told me that they were nearly all "Pommie" rods. I pricked up my ears then and asked him if, by any chance, he had a Richard Walker Mk IV. "Dunno"he said, "I know that there are a lot of Hardy rods but I don't know about that one, why not come down to my place and have a look?" I will be there next week! :D

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

How much for postage to the UK? :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

How much for postage to the UK? :D

No idea but I might be making enquiries.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Oh no wait and see, wait and see!

There are a lot of good cane rods in Australia, as well as no doubt a lot of rubbish mass produced ones as there are in most countries. Postage from there can be expesnive due to length restrictions. But not too bad, how do I know. Well I am a cane rod maker, and a few of my rods have made their way there.

Probably full of colonial woodworm and chewed by some weird marcupial or two!

Oh no wait and see, wait and see!

There are a lot of good cane rods in Australia, as well as no doubt a lot of rubbish mass produced ones as there are in most countries. Postage from there can be expesnive due to length restrictions. But not too bad, how do I know. Well I am a cane rod maker, and a few of my rods have made their way there.

Yes mate, you are right and I am looking forward to seeing. The guy is certainly no noddy and I doubt if he has allowed Hardy rods to go to rack and ruin. It will be intersting to see what he has there.

Yes mate, you are right and I am looking forward to seeing. The guy is certainly no noddy and I doubt if he has allowed Hardy rods to go to rack and ruin. It will be intersting to see what he has there.

I had a look at those rods today and sadly there was nothing of any interest. There were no Hardy cane rods, though he did have a couple of carbon rods of their's. I was a little disappointed in his lack of interest in anything I tried to tell him about Hardy and carbon fibre - he just wan't interested and yet there are few people about who could have given him that history. His collection of reels is impressive and it was easy to believe that he has over 1,000 of them. I had a good look at a Scarborough reel which is what most adult anglers used when I was just beginning to sea fish as a kid. One of those was at the head of my wish list in those days but I was stunned by the weight of them today. I can remember seeing anglers with them on Burma poles casting a huge sinker a long way and bringing in up to a dozen mackerel at a time. In those days no one who wanted a feed of mackerel ever left the pier with out a few of them. Most of the guys who could fish generally caught more than they could carry and anyone walking along the pier were asked if they wanted some. I guess that no one ever thought of putting them back in those days. On several occasions I took a number of them home and told my parents that I had caught them. I needed to boost my image a bit and also justify the cost of the 100 yards of mono they bought me at the beginning of the school holidays. Fishing was a lot of fun - as it still is - but at times, it was bloody hard work in those days and not only did you have to fight your fish, many of us struggled with our tackle too!