Info for the beginner??

Julian

Hi all, can anybody help this visitor to the site?

---------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I just back from a great holiday in Canada during which I was taken fishing for the first time. I'd like to keep going but how do I find out what gear I need, how much to pay, where my local clubs are and what's the best source of general info for the beginner?? Any advice please? I apologise to you old hands for seeking such basic advice - I'm 52 and should have been fishing for years I know, but better late than never. By the way, I live on Teesside. All the best and thanks for any help,

Ken

---------------------------------------------------------

Cheers, Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Guest allibee

Hi Ken

The best source of information on venues local to you will be your nearest tackle shop. They are veritable mines of useful information and also are the ones who can kit you out for your first home forays.

If you would like an L Plates type introduction to general fishing, then there is much info that can be gained on the internet from sites such as this and also from HERE and various magazines such as Improve Your Coarse Fishing. Don't forget your library or local WHSmiths for instructional material either.

Many loacal venues will also have access to qualified fishing coaches if you want to book a one to one session

It's never too late to start fishing - just think of the cup being half full, not half empty

Good luck

Hi, love the scooby logo!! Another alt is to go to your local fisheries and talk to the fishermen/women, ask for advice and see what tackle they are using.They should be quite happy to help you as we all have to start somewhere!! :confused:

It depends where on Teeside you live and whether you have transport or not.

There is the Tees, runs right through Teeside but is only really fishable above the barrage. The swale, a number of clubs contol different stretches of it.

There are a number of park lakes and small ponds around the area.

There are also a few commercial type fisheries around the area to get you rod or pole bent.

Local clubs off the top of my head are Middlesbrough, Thornaby, Yarm and Stokesley, there are probably more just can't think of them at the moment.

Local tackle shops, Flynns in Stockton, Cleveland angling centre in Thornaby, Anglers choice in Middlesbrough they will be able to give you advice on Middlesbrough angling club, Tackle box in Billingham. There is also one inside Harpers garden centre. There are also tackle shops in Redcar and Saltburn.

The best advice I would give you is to go to one of the tackle shops ask them about local fishing and if possible go and see the venue(s). If you like what you see go back to the tackle shop tell them your budget and what type of fishing you would like to do, most of them are very helpful and will give you good advice as they want you to keep comming back.

If you need any more help just ask.

Mark

Mark

Hi Ken, since returning to angling, last year, I've not felt the need to join a club: there are so many well-managed day-ticket waters, nowadays. It certainly used to be the case that you could only get decent fishing by joining a club, but I don't think that's true any more. Your best bet would be to find out about the fishing rights on waters near to where you live: if they are all owned by one club, join it.

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.