Pike Advice

Elton

Can anyone help this visitor to the site?

quote:

I am wondering if you can give me some information, i regularly fish for pike,but since the tail end of last season i canot seem to get any luck i fish the same water all the time, ive tried dead baits lures spinning but they dont seem to have any effect the water is over run with pike they are feeding on roach and perch the pond is small. is there anything you can sugest to end this not catching phase last year i was catching at least 6 jackys an hour

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

It maybe because they are spawning? in my personal view try a roach livebait on a sunken paternoster at various depth, like 4ft to 10/11ft.

I used to do a lot a pike fishing on my local reservoir a few years ago from October right up to End of April, and sometime well into May.

The better times of catching them was ready to spawning and after spawning.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

It's got me beat! I can't see any other line of attack than the one Andrew hass suggested i.e 'Live-baits'. The only factor I can see that might have made your catch returns poorer is an over abundance of prey fish.

Many of the waters I pike fish have maintained enormous silver fish recruitment over the past few seasons, and dead-baiting has become a much less viable method. Although, in my experience, this isn't usually the case with small ponds, where the competition for natural food usually holds back fish growth and recruitment to more stable levels.

It's a puzzler?

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Try a lure something out of the ordinary, as you have said its a small pond jerk baits are probably overkill but fox micros would be ok.

Pick an off the wall colour: charteuse, orange, flouro-pink. what we would be looking for would be to try to get an aggressive feeding response rather than a match the hatch approach.

This should work even if the fish are prepring to spawn as the jacks become very aggressive at this time but do not necessarly feed heavily.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Another possible reason is they are preoccupied on fry.

I noticed on my local lake a fry hatch on january 17th it was quite strange as one minute there were non and the next there were hundreds of tiny fish round the the magins so maybe try fishing with tiny lures /spinners

Oops.. I took it to mean that he hadn't had any action since the 'end of last season' i.e 2004 (No action for over 12 months.).

I'm not sure what species Andi might have witnessed hatching in Jan?? but if the pike are preoccupied with fry or first/second year class prey fish, it may take an act of parliament to persuade them to take your bait! :D:D

[ 03. April 2005, 04:50 PM: Message edited by: slodger ]

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'